DICTIONARY OF THE MONTH: Focalbeo Advanced Irish Dictionary
Use free until January 1, 2016.
Irish-English and English-Irish dictionaries available for in-app purchase
Full wordlist and 100 sample translations of each dictionary to preview before buying
The app allows you to easily and quickly navigate through and try out any dictionaries, as well as experience the most advanced search, learning and translation features.
Now you can make sure that a dictionary complies with your language level and contains all words you need before purchase. Full-fledged versions are available for buying with the in-app dictionary catalog.
Convenient search methods allow you to find any word in a number of different ways:
∙ Headword search
∙ Search for anagrams (bat-tab)
∙ Search within entries to narrow down and quickly navigate larger entries
∙ Wildcard search to find the word even if you don’t know its exact spelling
∙ Similar words search in case of misspelling
• Three input methods make dictionary word look-ups more convenient than ever. Search by voice with Google Voice recognition service, take a picture of text and translate it with Google Goggles, or enter the word with your own handwriting using Paragon's PenReader handwriting recognition technology.
• Easy copy-and-paste functions allow unknown words or phrases to be copied from an active application like the web browser or email to the clipboard, and automatically translated by switching back to dictionary.
• Use the Share button to send copied text to the dictionary directly and get the translation in one click! (Available for OS 4.0 and higher).
• English morphology module helps to translate words in any grammatical form.
• English audio pronunciations recorded by native speakers.
• Full linguistic information for English words – with declension and conjugation tables.
• Built-in dictionary catalog for in-app purchases.
• Dictionary installation on SD card (Available for OS 2.2 and higher).
• Search History feature shows the last 100 words looked up.
• Hyperlinks between articles and directions.
• Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort.
• No Internet connection required.
The focalbeo dictionary is the product of several years of comprehensive research. At this stage it is a comprehensive and definitive English-Irish-English Dictionary. It consists of an English-Irish dictionary and a reverse Irish-English dictionary that work together to provide fast and accurate Irish language translation.
It is primarily intended for use on mobile phones and it is an invaluable utility for people with a reasonable knowledge of Irish. As the screenspace on mobile phones is limited in most cases it is designed to appear clear and uncluttered on these devices. It works on all mobile platforms and on PCs/Macs. This dictionary was designed and built from the ground up and it innovative in many respects.
The advanced version of the dictionary contains a combined total of 199,353 headword translations. It is the most comprehensive Irish dictionary in terms of headword count, new words and terminology available at present.