Advanced English & Thesaurus
1,000,000 - 5,000,000 downloads
- Enormous database of words
- Intuitive results much better than a standard dictionary
- Ability to bookmark favorite words
+ By Mobile Systems, Inc.
1.4 million words grouped into searchable sets of cognitive synonyms
For writers and language lovers, the Advanced English & Thesaurus app is head and shoulders better than any standard dictionary. The Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University here organizes words in a way that makes intuitive sense, aiding both in understanding standard meaning and in terms of increasing verbal functionality.
What does this amount to for the user? A standard search for a term will bring up its home page complete with a range of definitions and examples of it used in context - standard dictionary results. The links to related terms are what's really cool - depending on the word, you'll find tappable links to synonyms, antonyms, "similar to...", "related to...", "a value of...", hyponyms (a word or phrase whose semantic field is included within that of another word, like red:color), and hypernyms (the reverse of hyponym).
For example, I looked up the term boogie. I get that it's "related to..." the term boogie-woogie, its hypernym is dance, and it's "similar to..." trip the light fantastic. Groovy indeed.
You can add bookmarks to terms that truly tickle your fancy, check out the word of the day, and keep track of the last 50 words in your search history.
The only complaint I have is that the word bank lacks the term "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis," which I suppose is mildly forgivable given how handy the app is overall.
Mobile Systems, Inc.'s Advanced English & Thesaurus app is a huge boon for anyone with a love for the English language, or who wondered how we might go about building a better dictionary.
Instead of following the standard dictionary format, the WordNet dictionary is organized with an innovative and convenient approach. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. In addition to the straightforward definition the dictionary shows how each word is linked to other words in terms of synonyms, opposites and similar words, but also hyponyms and hyperlinks within the group.
The resulting network of meaningfully related words and concepts:
* helps you to better understand the word meanings,
* facilitates the quick finding of the correct meaning,
* allows you to quickly memorize words.
--- A Comprehensive Dictionary and Thesaurus ---
* Straight forward and precise definitions of over 140,000 words with more than 250,000 links and 1.4 million words.
* Synonyms, antonyms, similar and related words to help you make your writing and speech more interesting.
* Hypernyms (more generic words), hyponyms (subordinate words) and meronyms (part names)
* Examples illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations.
--- The MSDict Dictionary Format ---
The Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus is here presented in MSDict electronic format. MSDict offers best experience in mobile reference and is available for any handheld platform.
* Quick dynamic search of words while you type
* Ability to add bookmarks to favorite words
* Hyperlinks between different related words
* History to see the last 50 words you have looked up
* Filters to help you locate the word you are searching for:
o Fuzzy filter- used when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
o Keyword-used to locate the instances of a key word within other compound words
o Wild card - "?" and "*" replace a letter and group of letters in words
* Convenient two pane design for tablets
* Fast article scrolling
* Online and offline modes supported; the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the day as a widget on the phone home screen
* Ability to search words in the installed dictionaries through the standard phone search feature
* Support for memory cards
Small apps extension for Sony products
* Bugs Fixed
Some lists where this application appears: leslie.
I read books that sometimes have words I don't know and this is great to look up the meanings. Very easy to use.
This is very useful when you don't have internet!
Its a good and helpful app but its a bit slow... I would request you people to fix this bug
It's a nice Dic
Vic -tom techniques. driving. School pegi. Kuje area. Council. Fact. Abuja