5,000,000 - 10,000,000 downloads
- Word of the day, articles of the day, words game
- Reliable resources
- Layout should be enhanced
- All the extra features aren't available in all languages
Dictionary by Farlex is a comprehensive dictionary with interesting features
This isn't just a dictionary in which you input a word and it brings you back a definition. Of course, it includes that feature taking definitions from multiple dictionaries (medical, legal, financial...) and Encyclopedias and Thesaurus. (up to 13 languages). You can jump to definition, translation or Thesaurus with one button. However, it also includes some other interesting features.
For example, you can listen to word's pronunciation. It includes an extensive offline dictionary which means you'll be able to search words even without an Internet connection. You can create bookmarks of your favorites words, share dictionary pages through Facebook, Twitter, E-mail or any other sharing resources installed on your mobile device.
Its strongest point is a customizable home which is a user dashboard, from where you can search word, translate it, discover "The word of the day", read the "Article of the Day" and the "Quote of the day", "Day in History", "Today's Birthday", "In the news", "Weather", "Hangman" game, "Spelling bee" (different difficulty levels), "Words withing words" (game), even "Horoscope" and "Match up" (game). It's a pity that all this features are not available in all languages.
In a nutshell, a dictionary which takes some learning resources and becomes a comprehensive language-learning app. Recommendable.
Content and Features
* Multiple English dictionaries, featuring extensive definitions, pronunciations, usage sentences, etymologies, and more.
* Extensive offline English dictionary and thesaurus. NOTE: Offline content must be downloaded separately using an Internet connection before offline mode can be accessed.
* Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
* Multiple thesauri, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, even images.
* Multiple encyclopedias, including Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
* Multiple specialty dictionaries, including Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Acronyms and Abbreviations, and more.
* Online dictionaries in 13 other languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Arabic, Polish, Turkish, and Russian.
* Translate English words into more than 40 languages, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Play audio pronunciations of words and view a pronunciation key.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page with one click.
* Search for words on the page.
* Create unlimited bookmarks. Sort alphabetically or chronologically.
* Learn something new every day with fresh daily content, including Word of the Day, This Day in History, Quote of the Day, Today's Birthday, News of the Day, and more. Even set notifications for daily delivery.
* Play games, including Spelling Bee, Match Up, Words Within Words, as well as Hangman in a dozen different languages.
* Customize your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even personalized horoscope and local weather in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Share your favorite definitions, encyclopedia entries, and articles via Facebook, Twitter, email, and text. Even share homepage articles.
* Set daily notifications for Word of the Day and other content.
* Adjust font size.
* Copy text (with supported devices).
* Use swipe gestures to move back and forward (with supported devices).
* Search via Android Quick Search Box, including voice-activated searching (with supported devices).
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app has the ability to be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions on accessing TFD).
* Bug fixes
* Full support for Android versions including KitKat, Jelly Bean, and Ice Cream Sandwich
* New search bar and menu design, now compatible with modern devices
* Ability to install app to SD card
* Audio pronunciation fix
* Keyboard fix for games
* Facebook and Twitter share fix
* Other bug fixes
can it be read offline?
I love this app!! Crazy mix of eclectic facts, games & words. Highly recommend!
Probably my most used app, like a good friend always there when you need it. Perfect is the right word
It is good and handy. I love it
Had to download newer version when phone was reset. Very pleased with this app and great help with my crosswords
A great learning tool!