Marine Mammals of the World
100 - 500 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
+ By Naturalis Biodiversity Center
This app contains:
- Information on 121 species of marine mammals (biology, behaviour, exploitation, etc.)
- 373 photographs and drawings of those species
- Sounds of some common species
- Skull drawings and distribution maps for 119 species
- 185 links to whale watching tours and locations from 27 different countries around the globe
- An interactive key for identifying species
- An alphabetical list of species with a search function
- Hyperlinks to similar species.
- All species names in English, Dutch, French and Spanish
This application is an adapted mobile version of the CD-ROM 'Marine Mammals of the World', published by ETI BioInformatics (ISBN 90-75000-81-2), which in its turn is based on the field guide by the same name, published as an FAO species identification guide by Thomas A. Jefferson, Stephen Leatherwood and Marc A. Webber in 1993 as part of a worldwide programme for the identification of marine mammals and also cetaceans, seals and sirenians found in freshwater. The 121 species include a variety of taxa: baleen whales, toothed whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sea lions, sirenians, marine otters and the polar bear.
In addition to this e-fauna, other e-guides covering plants, butterflies, birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians are available or in preparation. Please check http://www.eti.uva.nl/products/apps.php for a list of available titles.
Compilation: Edwin van Spronsen
Programming: Dennis Seijts, Stefano Martellos and Edwin van Spronsen
Initiative: ETI BioInformatics
Original texts: Thomas A. Jefferson, Stephen Leatherwood and Marc A. Webber
Drawings: T.G. Telander (sea otter) and P.A. Folkens (all others)
Skull drawings: FAO Fisheries Department
Distribution maps: FAO Fisheries Department
ETI BioInformatics was founded in 1990 by the Dutch government and UNESCO to facilitate easy access to information on taxonomy and biodiversity. See http://www.eti.uva.nl
Tags: marine mammal, marine mammals. of the world, that is a sea mamel, cd rom course marine mammals, marine mammal/soundboard, marine mammals of the world, drawings of marine mammals.