Oxford A_Z of English Usage
500 - 1,000 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
+ By Mobile Systems, Inc.
*Entries on common issues of uncertainty and confusion in handy A-Z sequence;
*More than 20 feature articles on specific subjects such as hyphenation or Latin plurals;
*Based on Oxford's world-leading dictionary research and contemporary language monitoring
Is it correct to pronounce "mischievous" as a three-syllable word (miss -chi-vuhss) or a four -syllable word (miss-chee -vi-uhss)? If it is right to use "alumni" as the plural of "alumnus," why is it wrong to use "octopi" as the plural of "octopus"? Should we write "12 am" or "12 a.m."? What is the difference between "principle" and "principal"? Is it "just desserts" or "just deserts"? If you don't know the answer to these questions, if you need a quick and effective guide to correct English, then Oxford A-Z of English Usage is just what you are looking for, containing a gold mine of useful advice on a wide array of common writing and speaking problems.
A search tool:
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
* A quick search of words while you type
* A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* A 'keyword' search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
* A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A learning tool:
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
* A 'Favourites' feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
* Your last visited words are all saved in your 'History', so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
* Discover a new word every day with the 'Daily' feature
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the Day as a widget on the device home screen
* See words in context with example sentences
* Online and offline modes supported; the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
A mobile dictionary application from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.
* Small apps extension for Sony products
Tags: a_z, key for az of oxford english usage, oxford az of english usage, fifty english usage problems, oxford dictionary version 2269 119mb, for correct english usage, oxford az of english usage 32105.
Version 4.3.107 new features:
* Optimized for Sony Small Apps
Version 4.3.059 features:
* Camera Access Permission Removed