A Taste of Hackney
100 - 500 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
+ By Toura UK
A Taste of Hackney provides an evocative portrait of a market that has played a continuous role in the heart of Hackney since it began. The app chronicles the changing faces and foods available one of London’s best-loved street markets focussing on the produce and people that make the market special.
All the content featured on this app is the work of local children and senior citizens in the London Borough of Hackney.
- Featuring over 60 minutes of oral history interviews from local residents, market inspectors and traders
- Enjoy the rich collection of captivating soundscapes that mark different aspects of its rich history
- Steep yourself in people’s memories as we step back in time to hear revealing and sometimes surprising reminiscences of the market from the World War II to the present day
- Flick through 100s of photographs that capture the essence of the bustling street market
- Watch a selection of videos featuring recipes from the group
- Learn about the role traditional foods have played in shaping customs and cultural practices
Learn how the market evolved from its beginnings in the mid 19th century, its evolution from 1900 to 1950 when its goods reflected the local Jewish community, to its flourishing present day incarnation offering an eclectic mix of British, Turkish, African and West Indian produce.
This user-friendly app encourages both visitors and residents to explore the wealth of stories, memories and recipes that have been inspired by one of Hackney’s most treasured markets in a fun and informative way.
- Devised and produced by A Different Drum Productions CIC
- Supported by the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund
The app will be regularly updated with images, audio and films donated by members of the public, so if Ridley Road Market has played an important role in your life, this is your chance to be featured on this unique app.
Tags: taste of hackney, toura google play a taste of hackney.