1,000 - 5,000 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
Components of a typical practice session:
- tap on the big yellow button and read out loud the displayed text (in the correct language)
- tap on the text to try again
- tap on the language label (under the phrase) to send the phrase to Google Translate
- tap on "Phrases" to see the history of phrases, sortable by various parameters
- tap on a phrase to listen to its correct pronunciation
- tap on "Plot" to see the graph of your error levels in different languages
Babble uses the services of speech-to-text and text-to-speech that are available via standard Android APIs. The apps that provide these services (e.g. Google Voice Search for speech-to-text, various TTS engines for text-to-speech) have to be installed separately in case they are not already pre-installed.
The current version is a prototype. The core of it was developed by 3 Android enthusiasts over a weekend in the beautiful library of Genk, Belgium, as part of the V Hack Android hackathon. For more information see: http://vhackandroid.wikia.com/wiki/Babble
Known bug: after changing the selection of active languages you must relaunch the app for the changes to take effect.
- clicking on the language label (which is displayed under the phrase) sends the latest phrase to Google Translate, which can be used for translation, higher quality speech synthesis, storage, sharing, etc.
- add 10 demo phrases for each of Japanese and Korean
- support more screen sizes and landscape layout
- add: click on the phrase to try it again
- show the language of the input phrase