nciku Chinese Dictionary
100 - 500 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
* Over 163,000 entries, including 76,000 Chinese and 77,000 English words and phrases, all included in the app and available offline. If the word you're looking for isn't included in this data, you can connect to nciku.com's database of over 3 million entries.
* Voice Search to look up Chinese words you don’t know [needs an internet connection]
* Native-speaker audio for over 50,000 Chinese and 25,000 English entries, and TTS recordings of all Chinese and English examples and their pronunciations [audio pronunciation requires internet connection]
* Search for an English or Chinese word, its meaning or (for Chinese words) its pinyin, or do an example search to find all examples containing that word
* Use the nciku Handwriting tool to look up Chinese characters you don’t recognize [needs an internet connection]
*Automatic search for pinyin when there are no matching ‘words’ results, and vice versa (so you can see results for “nihao” without having to switch to pinyin mode)
* Browse and take tests on your previously viewed words or the HSK and CET vocabulary lists
* Over 35,000 of our Chinese definitions for English words also have matching English definitions, to help you see which translation corresponds to which meaning of a word.
* See stroke order animations for all Chinese characters in a word
* Single-character Chinese entries show a list of longer words containing that character. Multi-character words have a list of all the characters in that word, along with their meanings.
* When you search for a word or phrase that's not in our dictionary, you can see the meaning of all the component words with our new 'sentence mode'.
* Automatically search for selected text in your clipboard when you switch to the nciku dictionary app
* Press the “menu” button to display the "Vocab", "Tests", "Conversations", "Theme Words" menus.
* Theme Words & Conversations from the nciku website, with audio pronunciation for conversations [needs an internet connection]
* Offline application: except for the handwriting and a few other features as noted above, the app doesn't require an internet connection to use
* The handwriting tool and stroke order animations are only supported on Android versions 2.2 and above.
* Voice Search is a built-in feature for Android 2.2 and above. if you are running 2.1, you have to install "Voice Search" from Google Play first.
* The “copy/paste” option is only supported on Android versions 2.2 and above.
* The audio pronunciation for Conversations is only supported on Android versions 3.0 and above.
* Although the app itself is quite small, the dictionary data files are very large - over 100MB (they are downloaded to your SD card once the app is installed). So please be near a WiFi connection, or be ready to download the file on your computer and copy it to the SD card before using the nciku dictionary.
* Unless you re-download the data file, the updates don't delete the words in 'My Viewed Words'.
Tags: nciku….chinese dictionary, nciku flashcards android, nciku dictionary english to chinese, nciku chinese dictionary, nciku android dictionary code.
Recently changed in this version:
3.3.6 added audio pronunciation for Chinese flashcards where available.
3.3.5 added pinyin to E-C entry definitions on the search & vocab list pages (this already existed on the entry detail page)
3.3.0 to 3.3.6 fixed bugs: flashcards, search and other minor bugs