With the increase of diagnoses of autism, down syndrome, and other special needs, there is a huge need for an assistive technology that can equip those who are non-verbal with the ability to communicate. Typical Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) devices and apps are either too expensive or too complicated. We have set out to change this by providing an affordable solution to everyone with access to a phone. We developed Quick Talk with the advice and guidance from parents, teachers, speech therapists, and individuals who are non-verbal to pack it full of features, while keeping simplicity and cost in mind. The outcome is a one-of-a-kind app that we believe will change many lives.
The main screen in Quick Talk has two color-coded buttons that you can use to speak using Android's built-in Text-to-Speech (TTS) engine. Our two button design has been optimized to allow you a simple choice of phrases to speak. Every button can be completely customized with phrases, colors, pictures, and even your own voice! Editing the buttons in Quick Talk is quick and easy. Push the gear button on the main page and you are on your way. We have included the Quick Talk Collection of 11,000 images and symbols from the Smarty Symbols library developed by a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist-a symbol for every need you can imagine is included. You can also choose to include others pictures directly from your phone's gallery or even take a picture a from your phone's camera. You can also choose to show only the image without the text.
The buttons are sorted by category, so you can easily organize and navigate to the phrases you wish to speak. Switching between categories is as easy as swiping left and right, pressing the left and right arrows, or by pressing the category button and choosing from the complete list. You can also swipe up and down or press the up and down arrows to navigate between buttons available within each category or use the bottom tab to see all available buttons within that category.
The choice of your voice is important, so we have designed Quick Talk to work with any voice you have installed on Android already and you can also install other great third party voices directly from within our app. Both male and female voices are available.
We believe Quick Talk is going to make a huge difference in peoples' lives and are committed to its continual improvement. Please email us any suggestions you may have about how we can further improve Quick Talk as we take your feedback seriously.
Quick Talk Features:
- Simple two-button design allows for easy choice of phrases.
- Ability to personalize all 100 buttons with phrases and colors. Editing function very easy to use.
- We have included the Smarty Symbols library of 11,000 symbols developed by a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist that you can use to personal the buttons. You can also take pictures from your device's camera directly into the app.
- Ability to record your own audio to personal the buttons with your own voice.
- Multiple ways to navigate - either with swiping, pressing arrow buttons, or choosing directly from list. There is also a home button which advances directly to Yes/No.
- Compatible with all Android Text-To-Speech (TTS) engines. You also have the ability to install more voices from within the app.
- Optimized for all screen sizes - phones, small tablets and large tablets.
Features Coming Soon:
- Ability to add unlimited buttons and categories.
- Ability to search the Quick Talk Collection to facilitate finding the appropriate image
Tags: quick talk, quicktaltalk, aac talk, quick talk app, aac android.
Recently changed in this version:
Added ability to add images to personalize buttons
Added 11,000 image library. You install these with 4 downloads from within the app.
Added ability to take pictures using device's camera
Added ability to record your own audio to include with each button
Added ability to show button without text