Signalong 50 Early Signs
by: Signalong • 2
Signalong is sign supported communication to accompany speech. Signalong can help children and adults with communication and/or learning difficulties to communicate and express themselves more effectively.
This app includes 50 early signs, which consist of instructional diagrams and descriptions of how to perform the signs.
Brush, To (Hair)
Ride, To (Bicycle)
Signing is a visual system that supports and encourages communication. It is often thought that signs are useful for people who can't speak, but the benefits of signing go much further than that even before a person is attempting speech.
1. Signs can be prompted more easily than words and can therefore be used to help someone who isn't speaking, to realise how important communication is.
2. For people who are visual learners, signs give extra valuable information and draw their attention to what is being said. As signs can be performed slowly and clearly, they help those who have difficulty understanding through listening alone, or those who just need longer to process what they hear.
3. Words are an abstract collection of sounds that through experience become meaningful to us. Signs however, are more concrete and often resemble the objects they represent more closely. Pairing signs with a word therefore, helps people who have difficulty understanding make sense of what is being said.
4. Some people understand single words but struggle to understand sentences. Using signs can help them understand sentences containing more than one idea.
5. Signs help with understanding of difficult words or concepts e.g. colour names, size, position words, etc.
6. Some people attempt speech but struggle to express themselves as their speech is very unclear. Accompanying speech with sign gives the listener visual information that can make all the difference, enabling successful communication to take place. This helps to relieve frustration and makes further communication attempts more likely.
7. Signs can help people to use longer sentences than they would with speech alone.
8. For people who have difficulty putting words in the right order, the visual support of signs can help them to achieve this.
9. Some people have difficulty remembering words even though they know what they want to say. Signs can help them retrieve the words they are looking for.
In summary, signs can help people to understand what is being said and express themselves more clearly.
PLEASE NOTE: As signs are used to promote speech and communication, don't forget to speak while you are signing. We don't sign every word but focus on signing the main words that carry meaning.
Tags: signalong signs , signalong , signalong for sorry , signalong early signs , sign along , signalong s , free signalong signs , signalong signs colours , how do you do signalong actions