Simple Machines by Ravindra Kompella
50 - 100 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
+ By Ravindra Kompella
Please try Earth and Space-Free app before you buy any of our paid versions. The Free app will help level set the expectations about your device compatibility and performance for our apps before you buy them.
About this App:
Actualconcepts is one of the leading interactive educational content publisher on Edmodo platform. Apps from Actual Concepts are designed to provide interactive education through fun. This App helps in interactively exploring Simple Machines and their applications using real time simulations (The list of simulations and activities that can be performed on the simulations are given below).
The simulations are highly touch enabled and are designed game-like so that people would love to play around with the simulations and at the same time can gain a deeper understanding of Science concepts. At the same time these simulations raise the inquisitiveness and help to experiment and find solutions like - "Do you know how a simple Lever can be used as a weighing machine, that too you should be able to measure any amount of load with having just only a single 1kg weight with you? Perform this simulation and its so easy to figure this out yourself!"
Each simulation also has a detailed list of activities that can be performed on the simulation. Once the activity is performed you can verify your answers for the activites performed. You can touch and alter several parameters like the fulcrum position, weight, effort applied, angle of incline, number of pulleys, radius of wheel and axle.
The simulations in this App are designed very carefully to mimic the real world scenarios. For example if more effort is required to lift a load, then you have to drag the simple machine arm to a larger extent to apply greater force.
You can touch and drag to apply forces and find out the required force using various simple machines like Pulley, Inclined Plane, Lever, Wheel & Axle.
Unlike most of the apps that are present out there, this App offers highly interactive simulations that are real time and highly touch enabled to play around with. This App is a must for your reference library if you are Science enthusiast.
The activity that can be done on the simulation are briefed below -
1. Lever - You can position the fulcrum at various points, touch and drag to apply force and experiment with the effort required to lift the load with these varying parameters.
2. Inclined Plane - You can interactively alter the angle of incline, increase the load, vary the effort to help load the truck.
3. Pulley Systems - Single/Fixed - Understand how a single fixed pulley functions. Find out if you get any mechanical advantage of such system. If there is no Mechanical Advantage, why do we use it? Find that out while performing this experiment.
4. Single Movable, 1 Fixed + 1 Movable - Understand single Movable Pulley. Find out which is better while performing this experiment? Movable or Fixed pulley?
5. 2 Fixed + 2 Movable - What happens when you increase the number of pulleys and make it a mixed pulley system containing both fixed and movable pulleys? Do you gain more advantage? But then what do you trade off? You can interactively perform the simulation and learn yourself!
6. Wheel & Axle - How does the heavy front tires of a car/truck turn effortlessly when the steering can be moved with a single hand? Perform this activity and you will know the principle behind this!
7. How to Use Lever as Weighing Balance - Do you know how a simple Lever can be used as a weighing machine that too you should be able to measure any load with just only a single 1kg weight with you? Perform this simulation and its so easy to figure this out yourself!