50,000 - 100,000 downloads
- Easy to use
- Planning your next visit
- Design could be better
+ By Smithsonian Institution
A guide to the popular Washington DC museum: spread the knowledge
Smithsonian Mobile is a virtual guide to the Smithsonian, the popular Washington DC museum, especialized in the: "increase and diffusion of knowledge". This application lets users know about all the exhibitions and collections available. The app also allows them to access tours and podcasts and navigate the museum as if they were there.
It's the perfect tool for planning you next visit to the Smithsonian: the app's usability is great and every section is easily accessible from the top left menu.
The design is not perfect, and the app could benefit from a looking a bit more professional. However, it serves its purpose and people interested in the museum will find it useful.Developer's original description available here
What can you do with Smithsonian Mobile?
• Plan your visit with museum hours, locations, floor plans, and more. "Favorite” events and exhibitions to create your own custom tour or scrapbook of your visit.
• Find our other mobile apps and websites and dig deeper into our stories. Tour collection highlights, watch videos, and listen to podcasts.
• Search our collections to make connections between museums, history, art and science.
• Use augmented reality (AR), "Smithsonian that Way," to discover the behind-the-scenes work of the Smithsonian's museums, research centers, libraries, archives, and affiliates in your neighborhood.
We want to hear from you! Log in via Facebook or Twitter to comment on our museums, collections, exhibitions, and artifacts. Share your expertise or tips!
Continually refreshed and renewed by both visitors and Smithsonian experts, there’s always a reason to come back to Smithsonian Mobile whether you’re on the National Mall, in a Smithsonian museum or beyond!
Developed for the Smithsonian by Tristan Interactive.
Our redesigned app makes it easier than ever to discover all the Smithsonian has to offer!
• Fresh new design makes it easy to learn about our museums and zoo.
• Added ability to share content and photos with followers and friends via Twitter and Facebook.
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Anna Grace.
The app says it needs to update with current events, then downloads the update and says it needs to update with current events again.
I got the download to work but there is still no support to access the free magazine you get as a print subscriber
Updates won't load.
Can't upload updates after downloading app. Can't use app without the updates. Too bad was in DC this week.
After downloading says it needs to update current exhibits. The update doesn't work and you can't use the app without the update. Uninstalled.
No new just stuff about museums
I just tried to install. Things seemed OK. Went to run app and it says it needs an update. Clicked OK to update. Update wouldn't finish, closed itself out, then popped back up to try again. This happened several times so I uninstalled it. Hopefully it will get fixed soon!