10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads
- Search through the entire BBC catalog of the last 30 days
- Cast content to your TV via Chromecast
- Live stream or download to watch later
- TV and radio content
- Only available within the Uk
- Downloading only available on Android OS Ice Cream Sandwich and above
+ By Media Applications Technologies for the BBC
Catch up on your favorite BBC TV and radio shows and live stream through the app
Missed last Friday's episode of Eastenders ? Maybe you want to relive the excitement of the Great British Bake Off final all over again. The brilliant BBC iPlayer app lets you live stream programs and catch up on your favorite shows from the last 30 days.
Whether you're on a Wi-Fi or cellular network, you can swipe through the featured and favorite programs (TV and radio, local and national), browse by channel or category and filter by day and time. You can either stream past programs directly, or download them to watch later (downloading takes place in the background of your other apps). You can also cast all content to your TV using Chromecast.
Sadly, as a Brit abroad, I can only indulge in BBC iPlayer when I am back home- the app is only available from within the UK. And furthermore, you should be aware that when live streaming TV broadcasts, you therefore confirming that you have bought and paid for your TV license.
- Watch live TV
- Watch over Wi-Fi and cellular networks
- Download TV programmes to watch later (on devices running Android OS Ice Cream Sandwich and above)
We know some Android KitKat users are having issues playing downloaded programmes. We're treating these issues very seriously and have raised them with Google who, so far, haven't been able to provide a fix of KitKat. We're continuing to work with Google on this and hope the issues will be fixed soon.
However, Google have been able to fix the downloads stuttering issue in Android Lollipop (5.0), so be sure to update your Operating System when you are prompted.
For more info on these issues visit
- Scroll through and find Featured and Most Popular programmes
- Browse through Category and Channel pages
- Cast content to your TV using Chromecast
We have developed the BBC Media Player app to improve video streaming playback on Android devices. You will need to install this separately from the Google Play Store.
To make installation of the BBC Media Player as easy as possible, BBC iPlayer will prompt you to install it when you first play a streamed programme.
The BBC iPlayer app uses standard Android app permissions that are defined by the Google Android platform. The permissions the BBC iPlayer Android app asks to use are:
Read phone status and identity – allows us to securely link downloads to your device, so they cannot be copied to another.
Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage – allows the app to save images, metadata and downloads.
Full network access- allows the app to access the internet.
View network connections - Allows the app to access details about network connectivity i.e. whether the device is on Wi-Fi or 3G/4G.
Prevent phone from sleeping – enables downloads to be performed in the background.
Test access to protected storage – allows the app to check if there is space on your device to download programmes.
Be sure to install this update so you can continue to watch downloads.
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Jayne Deacon.
- - Know what access (wifi, 3G…) you have at every moment.
- - Send and receive internet info.
- - android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
- - Read phone state. Used to know whether you're in a call or not.
- - Prevent your device from sleeping or screen from dimming (turn brightness down).
- - Write whatever to your SD card.
- - bbc.iplayer.android.pickupaprogramme.WRITE_PICK_UP_DATA
Displaying 3 of 0 - show all
- UpdatedNew version 184.108.40.206 released on 02/01/15.
- UpdatedNew version 220.127.116.11 released on 12/10/14.
- UpdatedNew version 18.104.22.168 released on 11/06/14.
- UpdatedNew version 22.214.171.124 released on 09/25/14.
- UpdatedNew version 126.96.36.199 released on 08/29/14.
- NewApplication reactivated on 07/23/14.
- UpdatedNew version 188.8.131.52 released on 07/23/14.
- UpdatedNew version 184.108.40.2065 released on 06/09/14.
- UpdatedNew version 220.127.116.11 released on 05/19/14.
- UpdatedNew version 18.104.22.168 released on 04/22/14.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 10000000 downloads level reached on 04/22/14.
- UpdatedNew version 22.214.171.1248 released on 04/12/14.
- UpdatedNew version 126.96.36.1997 released on 03/17/14.
- UpdatedNew version 188.8.131.52 released on 12/14/13.
- UpdatedNew version 184.108.40.206 released on 10/20/13.
- UpdatedNew version 220.127.116.117 released on 09/25/13.
- UpdatedNew version 18.104.22.168 released on 06/11/13.
- UpdatedNew version 22.214.171.124 released on 04/28/13.
- UpdatedNew version 126.96.36.199 released on 03/30/13.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 5000000 downloads level reached on 03/08/13.
- UpdatedNew version 188.8.131.52 released on 02/18/13.
- UpdatedNew version 184.108.40.2066 released on 12/14/12.
- UpdatedNew version 220.127.116.11 released on 10/19/12.
- NewFirst appearance on 07/05/12.
Displaying 4 of 24 - show all
Cannot watch any show without experiencing buffering , the video just freezing but I can still hear the sound or it just going black but I can still hear the show in the background. All in all I expect better from the BBC ; I mean what do they even change in the "updates"!?
Doesn't work on Android 5.0.
It is awesome but my sister delete it and now I can not download it
This is very good because you can watch what was in the past yeah yeah whatever