BBC iPlayer by Media Applications Technologies for the BBC
10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads
- Search through the entire BBC catalog of the last 30 days
- Cast content to your TV via Chromecast
- Live stream or download to watch later
- TV and radio content
- Only available within the Uk
- Downloading only available on Android OS Ice Cream Sandwich and above
+ By Media Applications Technologies for the BBC
Catch up on your favorite BBC TV and radio shows and live stream through the app
Missed last Friday's episode of Eastenders ? Maybe you want to relive the excitement of the Great British Bake Off final all over again. The brilliant BBC iPlayer app lets you live stream programs and catch up on your favorite shows from the last 30 days.
Whether you're on a Wi-Fi or cellular network, you can swipe through the featured and favorite programs (TV and radio, local and national), browse by channel or category and filter by day and time. You can either stream past programs directly, or download them to watch later (downloading takes place in the background of your other apps). You can also cast all content to your TV using Chromecast.
Sadly, as a Brit abroad, I can only indulge in BBC iPlayer when I am back home- the app is only available from within the UK. And furthermore, you should be aware that when live streaming TV broadcasts, you therefore confirming that you have bought and paid for your TV license.
- Watch live TV
- Catch up on the past 30 days
- Watch on Wi-Fi and cellular networks
- Download TV programmes to watch later (on devices running Android OS Ice Cream Sandwich and above)
- Browse Categories and Channels
- Cast content to your TV using Chromecast
- Share your Favourites across other devices with a BBC iD account
We’ve developed the BBC Media Player app to improve video streaming playback on Android devices. You’ll need to install this separately from the Google Play Store.
To make installation of the BBC Media Player as easy as possible, BBC iPlayer will prompt you to install it when you first play a streamed programme.
The BBC iPlayer app uses standard Android app permissions that are defined by the Google Android platform. The permissions the BBC iPlayer Android app asks to use are:
"Read the contents of your USB storage" & "Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage"
This permission is used to store downloaded programmes. The application must be able to write, read and delete these files.
Device ID & Call Information
"Read phone status and identity"
This permission is used to read the Android "Device ID". This is an anonymous ID that cannot be used to identify the user and is not used to track the user. It is used by iPlayer's content protection system to ensure that downloaded programmes can only be played on the device that downloaded them. iPlayer does not use this permission to determine the device phone number, whether a call is active, or the remote number in a connected call.
Other permissions (not explicitly mentioned when installing BBC iPlayer, as they are more general to most apps):
"Prevent phone from sleeping"
This permission is used by two features: Downloads & Chromecast.
While downloading a programme, the application prevents the system from sleeping when the device is locked, so the download can continue. This is only active while a download is in progress.
While "casting" a programme to a compatible receiver like Google's Chromecast, the application stops the system from fully sleeping when the phone is locked. This stops the application losing connection with the receiver so the phone can continue to control playback.
"Full network access"
iPlayer needs access to the internet to download programmes, schedules and information about programmes and configuration, and to send usage statistics.
"View network connections"
This permission lets iPlayer determine whether a network connection is available before accessing the network, and provide better error messages when it can’t retrieve data.
iPlayer also determines what type of network connection is in use (Wi-Fi or Cellular) for the Downloads feature. Downloads are enabled when connected to a Wi-Fi network. On a cellular network, downloads are disabled/paused.
"Test access to protected storage"
This allows the app to check if there is space on your device to download programmes.
To give you with the best experience, certain details like your Search History and Favourites may be stored on your device or securely on BBC servers.
To analyse and improve the app, it also uses technologies similar to performance cookies used by the BBC. You can alter your settings for this on your device. For more information about this and privacy, cookies and iPlayer more generally, visit the BBC iPlayer privacy FAQ page at http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/app_privacy, or the BBC’s Privacy & Cookies site at http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy/
Downloads on Android Kit Kat are much improved (finally) – we’ve fixed the bug that made playback stutter after 15 minutes.
Take your Favourites anywhere – when you add a programme to Favourites you now get the option to sign in (or register). Do it and, as if by magic, you’ll be able to access your Favourites on other signed in devices too.
Various other minor fixes and improvements.
As ever please send any feedback to @bbciplayer on Twitter or on facebook.com/bbciplayer
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Jayne Deacon.
- - Know what access (wifi, 3G…) you have at every moment.
- - Send and receive internet info.
- - android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
- - Read phone state. Used to know whether you're in a call or not.
- - Prevent your device from sleeping or screen from dimming (turn brightness down).
- - Write whatever to your SD card.
- - bbc.iplayer.android.pickupaprogramme.WRITE_PICK_UP_DATA
Displaying 3 of 0 - show all
- UpdatedNew version 184.108.40.206 released on 05/13/15.
- UpdatedNew version 220.127.116.11 released on 04/17/15.
- UpdatedNew version 18.104.22.168 released on 04/02/15.
- UpdatedNew version 22.214.171.1247 released on 03/20/15.
- UpdatedNew version 126.96.36.199 released on 02/01/15.
- UpdatedNew version 188.8.131.52 released on 12/10/14.
- UpdatedNew version 184.108.40.206 released on 11/06/14.
- UpdatedNew version 220.127.116.11 released on 09/25/14.
- UpdatedNew version 18.104.22.168 released on 08/29/14.
- NewApplication reactivated on 07/23/14.
- UpdatedNew version 22.214.171.124 released on 07/23/14.
- UpdatedNew version 126.96.36.1995 released on 06/09/14.
- UpdatedNew version 188.8.131.52 released on 05/19/14.
- UpdatedNew version 184.108.40.206 released on 04/22/14.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 10000000 downloads level reached on 04/22/14.
- UpdatedNew version 220.127.116.118 released on 04/12/14.
- UpdatedNew version 18.104.22.1687 released on 03/17/14.
- UpdatedNew version 22.214.171.124 released on 12/14/13.
- UpdatedNew version 126.96.36.199 released on 10/20/13.
- UpdatedNew version 188.8.131.527 released on 09/25/13.
- UpdatedNew version 184.108.40.206 released on 06/11/13.
- UpdatedNew version 220.127.116.11 released on 04/28/13.
- UpdatedNew version 18.104.22.168 released on 03/30/13.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 5000000 downloads level reached on 03/08/13.
- UpdatedNew version 22.214.171.124 released on 02/18/13.
- UpdatedNew version 126.96.36.1996 released on 12/14/12.
- UpdatedNew version 188.8.131.52 released on 10/19/12.
- NewFirst appearance on 07/05/12.
Displaying 4 of 28 - show all
I like the app, but is it possible that instead of only linking with Chromecast, the app can pair with the iPlayer in the browser of a PC on the same wifi network, like the youtube app does?
Works as good as a PC version and the live Tv is awesome. Disappointed that they block some programmes 'for legal reasons ' especially as other apps which stream HD BBC channels don't. Chromecast support is excellent also.
Dunno what you've done in the update but it's totally messed the app up big time!! Can't watch anything at all, I use this app to watch programmes in bed but now can't do that because the programmes won't actually play
I'm using a Sony Xperia Tablet Zero on Kit Kat. Downloads still play for 15 minutes then playback stops and starts every ten seconds.
Good App works fine on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
It's okay not as good is used to be..playing up very funny sometimes. .
never stops woohoo