Scanner Radio Pro
100,000 - 500,000 downloads
- Huge amount of radio scanners available
- Streaming works great over WiFi
- Configured alerts feature
- Screen widget
- Listen to archived audio option
- We're missing more areas available
- "Near me" doesn't work as good as we expected
Scanner Radio is an app that let you listening to huge database of radio stations: police, amateur, weather...
This is the Pro version of Scanner Radio. It contains: no ads, the play button at the top and widgets, allows you to listen to archived audio (past 2-3 weeks), it allows to listen to two scanners at once.
First, as developers warns, take in account that the audio is provided by volunteers using real scanner radios. If your area is not available, see the menu in the app for information on how to get it added.
By tapping on "Near me" (GPS connected) it will scan and find those radio repeaters that are around you. But anyway, you can listen to in streaming radios from around the world. There's a browser to search by area, by genre, by source, custom scanners and configured alerts. This last notify you when lots of people are listening to a scanner, because that means that something is happening over there. You can mark as favorite those radio stations that you most like or check the Top 50 radio scanners out. There's also a chat room from scanner radio users, but downloading a plug-in is required.
Scanner Radio has been developed by Gordon Edwards. This is his only app (plus, the pro version and the plug-in), but it has been well received for Android users regarding amount of downloads and rating.
If you don't want to miss what's going on the radio waves, this is your app. Truly recommendable.
* View scanners that are located nearest you, sorted by distance.
* View the top 50 scanners that have the most listeners (list updated every 5 minutes).
* View list of scanners added most recently (new additions are being added all the time).
* Add scanners you listen to the most to your Favorites list for quick access.
* Browse the directory of scanners by location or genre (public safety, air traffic, weather, railroad, etc).
* Enable notifications to be notified when lots of people (such as over 1000, for example) are listening to any scanner (indicating that something big is happening). You can also be notified when scanners located near you (or specific scanners of your choosing) have more than a certain number of listeners.
* Add Scanner Radio Pro widgets and shortcuts to your phone's home screen for quick access (app cannot be installed on SD card to access them).
* Add a "Scanner Radio Pro Favorite" shortcut to your home screen to launch a scanner feed via an alarm clock app or automation app.
* Listen to Broadcastify.com's audio archives to listen to audio that's been archived over the past 30 days. Note: You *must* have an account on Broadcastify.com and purchase their "Premium Membership" ($15 for 6 months) in order to access their archives using the app.
In addition to the above features, you also get the following features with this version of the app:
* The ads are removed.
* The ability to record the audio.
* The play button at the top of the directory screens and on the widgets can be used to start listening without having to go to the player screen.
* With the "Scanner Radio Pro Locale PlgIn" plug-in is also installed you can have Locale/Tasker launch the app and have one of your Favorites automatically begin playing based on one or more conditions or have the app stop playing. One use for this feature is to have a scanner feed begin playing when your phone connects to a specific Bluetooth device and then have it stop when the connection to that Bluetooth device is no longer present.
The audio is provided by volunteers (primarily for Broadcastify.com) using real scanner radios.
If you need assistance, please go to http://http://support.gordonedwards.net/
Explanation of why various permissions are needed:
The "Phone Calls / Read Phone State" permission is needed by the app so that it can detect when you're placing a phone call (or when one is being received) so that it can automatically stop the streaming of the audio to prevent it from interfering with the call.
The "Fine (GPS) Location" and "Coarse Location" permissions are required so that the app can determine what scanners are located in your area when you click on "Near Me". When you click on "Near Me" the app first attempts to determine your location via the network, if that fails the app then tries to determine your location via GPS.
The "Automatically Start at Boot" permission is required so that a small portion of the app can be started when your phone boots if (and only if) you turn on the notifications feature of the app (that feature is turned off by default).
The "Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage" and "Test access to protected storage" permissions are required in order for the app to support the ability for you to record the audio you're hearing and be able to save it to a location that you can access from your computer (requires Scanner Radio Pro to be present on your device).
If the audio repeats or the app stays connected for only a short time, try returning to a directory screen in the app, then select "Settings" from the menu, then "Player settings", and then try changing the "Streaming method" setting.
Added the ability to import Favorites, custom scanner entries, and feed-specific alerts from another device (select "Import" from the menu).
Fixed a problem where the balance controls ended up reducing the overall volume of the audio.
Fixed a problem that could result in it not being possible to stop the player if the app's player service is killed by Android.
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
Gordon Edwards has created an excellent application. It is easy to use and well designed.
Started with free version over a year ago,Now have paid version and could not be happier.
Nevermind lol got it great app with loads of features.
Gordon you did a fantastic job. This scanner has more features that I didn't think you need, he also responded quickly. Its worth 2.99. No problems. The free one is great but buy it, it's worth it.
Excellent app! Thanks guys for developing such a great app.
Good AP just needs more channels