10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads
- Huge amount of radio scanners available
- Streaming works great over WiFi
- Configured alerts feature
- We're missing more areas available
- "Near me" doesn't work as good as we expected
First, as developers warns, take in account that the audio is provided by volunteers using real scanner radios. If your area is not available, see the menu in the app for information on how to get it added.
By tapping on "Near me" (GPS connected) it will scan and find those radio repeaters that are around you. But anyway, you can listen to in streaming radios from around the world. There's a browser to search by area, by genre, by source, custom scanners and configured alerts. This last notify you when lots of people are listening to a scanner, because that means that something is happening over there. You can mark as favorite those radio stations that you most like or check the Top 50 radio scanners out. There's also a chat room from scanner radio users, but downloading a plug-in is required.
Scanner Radio has been developed by Gordon Edwards. This is his only app (plus, the pro version and the plug-in), but it has been well received for Android users regarding amount of downloads and rating.
If you don't want to miss what's going on the radio waves, this is your app. Truly recommendable.
* View scanners that are located nearest you, sorted by distance.
* View the top 50 scanners that have the most listeners (list updated every 5 minutes).
* View list of scanners added most recently (new additions are being added all the time).
* Add scanners you listen to the most to your Favorites list for quick access.
* Browse the directory of scanners by location or genre (public safety, air traffic, weather, railroad, etc).
* Enable notifications to be notified when lots of people (such as over 1000, for example) are listening to any scanner (indicating that something big is happening). You can also be notified when scanners located near you (or specific scanners of your choosing) have more than a certain number of listeners.
* Add Scanner Radio widgets and shortcuts to your phone's home screen for quick access (app cannot be installed on SD card to access them).
* Add a "Scanner Radio Favorite" shortcut to your home screen to launch a scanner feed via an alarm clock app or automation app.
* Listen to Broadcastify.com's audio archives to listen to audio that's been archived over the past 30 days. Note: You *must* have an account on Broadcastify.com and purchase their "Premium Membership" ($15 for 6 months) in order to access their archives using the app.
This is the free version of the app, below are the benefits of purchasing the Pro version (for only $2.99):
* The Pro version contains no ads.
* The play button at the top of the directory screens and on the widgets is can be used to start listening.
* With the "Scanner Radio Pro Locale PlgIn" plug-in is also installed you can have Locale/Tasker launch the app and have one of your Favorites automatically begin playing based on one or more conditions or have the app stop playing. One use for this feature is to have a scanner feed begin playing when your phone connects to a specific Bluetooth device and then have it stop when the connection to that Bluetooth device is no longer present.
The audio is provided by volunteers (primarily for Broadcastify.com) using real scanner radios. If your area is not available, see the menu in the app for information on how to get it added.
If you need assistance, please contact me at email@example.com
Explanation of why various permissions are needed:
The "Phone Calls / Read Phone State" permission is needed by the app so that it can detect when you're placing a phone call (or when one is being received) so that it can automatically stop the streaming of the audio to prevent it from interfering with the call.
The "Fine (GPS) Location" and "Coarse Location" permissions are required so that the app can determine what scanners are located in your area when you click on "Near Me". When you click on "Near Me" the app first attempts to determine your location via the network, if that fails the app then tries to determine your location via GPS.
The "Automatically Start at Boot" permission is required so that a small portion of the app can be started when your phone boots if (and only if) you turn on the notifications feature of the app (that feature is turned off by default).
If the audio repeats or the app stays connected for only a short time, try returning to a directory screen in the app, then select "Settings" from the menu, then "Player settings", and then try changing the "Streaming method" setting.
Follow "Scanner Radio" on Facebook or ScannerRadio on Twitter to be notified about tips, service interruptions, new beta versions, etc.
Keywords: police scanner, radio scanner, air traffic
Tags: scanner radio android, android scanner radio, radio scanner android, android radio scanner, scannerradio, radio scanner, scanner radio app android, scanner radio for android, scanner radio android app, radio scanner for android.
Recently changed in this version:
- Fixed a bug which would prevent you from being able to change which feed is playing after following a particular sequence.
- Added a new setting under "Directory Settings" that can be used to specify that distances in "Near Me" directory listings should in metric.
- Added helpful text that is displayed if the "Use only GPS for location" setting is enabled but the device doesn't have a GPS when the "Near Me" button is pressed.
Last activity on Scanner Radio
Lists with: Scanner Radio
Comments and ratings for Scanner Radio
It's kool....I wish it had the code for JUST....SALINAS CA.!!!!
Just love how you can hear your local police fire and ems. I love searching the verry top chanels. Great product.
Very helpful this past winter.
Its very interesting to hear what's going on in the World we live in.
This app does exactly what it says. Works great on my GSIII. My only issue is how much of a battery drain it is, but that's not really something that can be fixed. Very useful when I'm worried about fires in my kindling-dry part of the world.
Love it the best