10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads
- Huge amount of radio scanners available
- Streaming works great over WiFi
- Configured alerts feature
- We're missing more areas available
- "Near me" doesn't work as good as we expected
Scanner Radio is an app that lets you listen to a huge radio stations database: police, amateur, weather...
First, as developers warns, take in account that the audio is provided by volunteers using real scanner radios. If your area is not available, see the menu in the app for information on how to get it added.
By tapping on "Near me" (GPS connected) it will scan and find those radio repeaters that are around you. But anyway, you can listen to in streaming radios from around the world. There's a browser to search by area, by genre, by source, custom scanners and configured alerts. This last notify you when lots of people are listening to a scanner, because that means that something is happening over there. You can mark as favorite those radio stations that you most like or check the Top 50 radio scanners out. There's also a chat room from scanner radio users, but downloading a plug-in is required.
Scanner Radio has been developed by Gordon Edwards. This is his only app (plus, the pro version and the plug-in), but it has been well received for Android users regarding amount of downloads and rating.
If you don't want to miss what's going on the radio waves, this is your app. Truly recommendable.
• View scanners that are located nearest you, sorted by distance.
• View the top 50 scanners that have the most listeners (list updated every 5 minutes).
• View list of scanners added most recently (new additions are being added all the time).
• Add scanners you listen to the most to your Favorites list for quick access.
• Browse the directory of scanners by location or genre (public safety, air traffic, weather, railroad, etc).
• Enable notifications to be notified when lots of people (such as over 1000, for example) are listening to any scanner (indicating that something big is happening). You can also be notified when scanners located near you (or specific scanners of your choosing) have more than a certain number of listeners.
• Add Scanner Radio widgets and shortcuts to your phone's home screen for quick access (app cannot be installed on SD card to access them).
• Add a "Scanner Radio Favorite" shortcut to your home screen to launch a scanner feed via an alarm clock app or automation app.
• Listen to Broadcastify.com's audio archives to listen to audio that's been archived over the past 30 days. Note: You *must* have an account on Broadcastify.com and purchase their "Premium Membership" ($15 for 6 months) in order to access their archives using the app.
This is the free version of the app, below are the benefits of purchasing the Pro version (for only $2.99):
• The Pro version contains no ads.
• The Pro version has the ability to record the audio.
• The Pro version allows you to adjust the sound of the audio via an equalizer (version 4.x of the app only, does not work on the Galaxy S4).
• The Pro version adds player controls to the lock screen (version 4.x of the app only).
• The play button at the top of the directory screens and on the widgets can be used to start listening.
• With the "Scanner Radio Pro Locale PlgIn" plug-in is also installed you can have Locale/Tasker launch the app and have one of your Favorites automatically begin playing based on one or more conditions or have the app stop playing. One use for this feature is to have a scanner feed begin playing when your phone connects to a specific Bluetooth device and then have it stop when the connection to that Bluetooth device is no longer present.
The audio is provided by volunteers (primarily for Broadcastify.com) using real scanner radios.
If you need assistance, please go to http://http://support.gordonedwards.net/
Explanation of why various permissions are needed:
• The "Location" permission is required so that the app can determine what scanners are located in your area when you click on "Near Me". When you click on "Near Me" the app first attempts to determine your location via the network, if that fails the app then tries to determine your location via GPS.
• The "Photos/Media/Files" permission is required in order for the app to support the ability for you to record the audio you're hearing and be able to save it to a location that you can access from your computer (requires Scanner Radio Pro to be installed or for you to be using Scanner Radio Pro).
• The "Wi-Fi connection information" permission is needed so that the app can determine whether or not Wi-Fi is enabled and whether the app is currently using that connection. This functionality is used to allow you to restrict scanner listening to only when you're on Wi-Fi.
• The "Device ID & call information" permission is needed by the app so that it can detect when you're placing a phone call (or when one is being received) so that it can automatically stop the streaming of the audio to prevent it from interfering with the call.
• Fixed a bug which caused the user to select Exit from the menu twice to exit the app in a couple of scenarios.
• Fixed a bug which caused the player to disconnect after 30 seconds on some devices (due to Android's player not reporting the current player position).
• Changed the error message that is displayed if the app is unable to open a recording.
• Tweaked app for Chrome OS (install on Chrome OS via the Chrome Web Store).
It seems great, but there isn't near me option on my download
Love this app works great, but does anyone know how to send it through a bluetooth? It gives the option on the share screen but nothing happens?
No weather radio for my area, even though it is available via (for example) the weather underground web site. Not sure who adds the "available station" but an addition is needed for weather in the zip code 55110/55115 area.
Does it pick up aircraft unicom, 122.8?
This app is way too cool. I am a scanner freak and listen to them all the time. Now I can have a scanner with me wherever I go. And....it is almost in sync with my other scanners. Very Cool.
The best scanner app I've ever had keep up the good work Lebanon
I have enjoyed this app for a long time, although not used frequently. The app no longer launches. I select the app and then nothing happens. Uninstalled and reinstalled. No help. Restarted phone. No help. Seems like the most recent big change on my HTC One M8 was android 5.0..Might be the cause?