by: SiPlus • 57
Steamshots is an unofficial Steam screenshot uploader for Android.
Steamshots lets you take screenshots in games, upload them to the Steam Community and share them with others on Steam and outside of it.
Because the app doesn't directly capture screenshots, it doesn't require root privileges. Instead, it listens to changes in the images database of your device, so you can take the screenshots by pressing your device's default screenshot key or key combination (such as Volume Down + Power).
The app WILL REQUEST YOUR STEAM PASSWORD. However, because it's open source (you can find the GitHub link below), you can see what happens to your account information and recompile it if you want. When you add your account, the password is sent to the Steam main server located at cm0.steampowered.com:27017, and then it's gone (instead, a login key is stored on your device). The login key is used to login to upload screenshots (the cloud server address is obtained from the main server at cm0.steampowered.com:27017).
All communication with Steam is encrypted with AES-256 and RSA-1024. Only Valve has the RSA private key to decrypt the random AES key.
There are no ads or any other forms of monetization.
This app works on 4.0+ devices with screenshot support (screenshots must have Screenshot_yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss name). The app has been developed and tested on LG Nexus 4 and ASUS Trasformer Pad TF300T.
Many thanks to Netshroud and VoiDeD for SteamKit and extensive information about the Steam protocol.
Translations provided by the Steam Translation Server users:
- Bulgarian: Rossen Goergiev
- Chinese (Traditional): Mustaine
- French: DaTa
- German: senkus
- Hungarian: gorasz.psd
- Italian: Alixey, Oktoberbot
- Spanish: DrHouse
- Portuguese: TheScientist, Dr. Costa
- Russian: released alongside the English version
- USB storage and Test access to protected storage: reading and writing screenshots.
- Create/find accounts: storing Steam accounts info (without passwords), creating and deleting accounts from device settings.
- Full network access: uploading screenshots, adding accounts, updating account avatars.
- View network connection: error message when trying to upload without connection.
- Retrieve running apps: getting name of the currently running game.
- Source code at GitHub: https://github.com/SiPlus/Steamshots
- Steam Forums topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34678860
- Steam Discussions topic: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/8/864973577799365388/
Steam and the Steam logo are registered trademarks of Valve Corporation in the US and other countries.