BBC Good Food - Recipes
100,000 - 500,000 downloads
Also in : Cooking
- Photos are glossy
- Ingredients separate from procedure
- Only 20 free recipes available
- Glossary laughably simplistic
20 free recipes from the BCC plus a few basic kitchen tools
This is an official BBC app from BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC. That's about the most exciting thing that can be said about it - for a recipe app, it's lacking just about everything, particularly the recipes.
If you download this free version, you're rewarded with access to 20 of the BBC's "Classic" recipes, including such crowd-pleasers like beef & beer pie or chicken & bacon stew (who needs veggies anyway?). The layout separates glossy photo from ingredient list, and those from the recipe itself, making it extremely inconvenient to measure while cooking should you actually decide peanut butter cheesecake is a thing you have to have.
Included are tools like a converter between metric and imperial measure, a rudimentary timer, and a glossary with exotic terms like "salt" and "pepper."
Snark aside, I'm actually a big fan of the BBC's recipe database online - they consistently come up with some interesting flavor combinations, and the recipes are well-written and tend to execute successfully. However, those recipes are free, like digital recipes ought to be - and largely are. I'm not sure why the BBC thinks it can get away with charging you £1.49 for access to the "Food for friends" section when you can just look it up yourself online.
The BBC Good Food - Recipes app needs to deliver significantly more product and usability before it can stand up to the other more comprehensive recipe apps out there.
The BBC Good Food – Recipes app is free to download, but, charges for additional curated cookbooks. We offer 20 free recipes, 50 glossary items, cooking tips and a multiple timer tool for free in the app.
***NOTE ON COMPATIBLE DEVICES***
This version is developed to give the best experience on the following devices:
Samsung Galaxy Europa, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3 and 7" HTC Flyer, 8.9" Galaxy Tab, 10.1" Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Tab 2
Whether you’re looking for weekday inspiration, trying to cook the perfect steak or attempting your own homemade ice cream, get cooking with the new BBC Good Food - Recipes, tips and cooking tools app. This app lets you buy and store all the existing BBC Good Food cookbook apps, and organise your favourite recipes and shopping lists in one place.
The app is free to download, and comes with 20 of our favourite recipes, like, Beef & beer pie, Summer vegetable curry and Chocolate & raspberry pots. It also includes tools like our simple-to-use roast timer, handy weight converters, and a basic glossary of ingredients and techniques, to get you started.
All recipes and tools found in the app are available offline.
The recipes include nutritional information on kcals, protein, carbs, fat, saturated fat, fibre, sugar and salt per serving.
And you can set your app to display recipes in metric or imperial measurements, according to your preference.
These are the existing cookbooks available to buy from within this new app, each with over 160 recipes to try:
- Healthy - 195 recipes including Salmon & ginger fish cakes, Thai beef stir-fry and Indian butternut squash curry
- Quick - 195 recipes including Quick lamb biryani, Parmesan spring chicken and easy puds, and White chocolate & berry pudding.
- One-pot - 170 recipes including Sausage casserole with garlic toasts and One-pot mushroom & potato curry, Prosciutto & pesto fish gratin
- Cake - 170 recipes including Lemon drizzle cake, Best-ever brownies and Carrot cake with cinnamon frosting
- Seasonal - 180 recipes including Asparagus cream pasta, Peppered chicken with watercress and Slow-cooked pork & red cabbage
- Food for friends - 170 recipes including Crispy chicken with pancetta & butter beans, Cauliflower cheese & spinach pasta bake and Bakewell cheesecake
- Festive - 180 recipes including Unbelievably easy mince pies, Classic roast turkey with red wine baste and Brussels with hazelnut & orange butter
We are always looking to improve our app so please feel free to email us any updates that would you like to see and let us know any issues you encounter.
Terrible app i wouldn't rate it i just wanted to comment
Doesn't have as many recipes as the Internet page does.
I was looking for a recipe for pork patties which is on the main website, this app couldn't find it. Apparently there are no recipes for pork at all! I'm not going to waste time to check out what else it doesn't have. About to uninstall.
You can get hundreds of recipes for free on the BBC Good Food website and yet you are expected to pay for them on the app! Doesn't make any sense to me. Uninstalled it right away. Very disappointing :-(
Was expecting so much more
Good but not excellent
The app should be improved and also updated with new free recipes!