What is ShriRudram ? :-
- It is a Hindu stotra dedicated to Rudra (an epithet of Shiva).
- It is a vedic hymn taken from Taittiriya Samhita (TS 4.5) of YajurVeda.
- It is also known as Sri Rudraprasna, Satarudriya, and Rudradhyaya.
- It (Namakam) describes the name or epithets of Rudra, which represent his aspects.
- It is of two parts, Namakam and Chamakam. Each consist of eleven anuvakas or hymns. Traditionally Rudra is assigned the number 11, and among the 33 deities of the
Vedic pantheon, 11 are considered forms of Rudra.
- As per the Jabala Upanishad, recitation of the Satarudriya (this hymn) will lead to immortality. (this belief was claimed during the first few centuries of CE)
- The anuvakas (Chapters) of Shri-Rudram correspond to the eleven hymns of Taittiriya Samhita (TS 4.5), where, the final anuvaka extended by an additional eight
verses including the ' Mahamrityunjaya ' Mantra.
- The Mahamrityunjaya Mantra - ' great death-conquering mantra ', also called the Tryambakam Mantra, is a verse of the Rigveda (RV 7.59.12).
- Chanting the Rudram is said to be of great benefit. The Rudram chanting can be done with or without the accompaniment of a Vedic yagna ritual. When accompanied
with the Vedic fire ritual, it is called the Rudra Yagnam.
Who can Recite this hymn ? :-
** " camakaṁ namakaṁ caiva pauruṣasūktaṁ tathaiva ca nityaṁ trayaṁ prayuñjāno brahmaloke mahīyate " **
Meaning -- He whoever recites Namakam and Chamakam along with Purusa Sooktam on a daily basis, will be honoured in Brahmaloka.
- To begin with , it is recommended to start learning Rudram from a Guru, since, it is supposedly the traditional way of learning any Vedic Hymns or Stotras.
- Rudram, unlike other Slokas or Mantras, has great significance, when its notations are recited in the appropriate pitch. The notation for marking the syllables for
chanting is generally known as the swara notation, signifying the pitch variation applicable to the vowel in the syllable.
Flexi Features of this App :-
1) The ' Sanskrit ' and ' English ' hymns (with notation), on every page is individually scrollable, that would match with the audio from the page, for reference and
2) For moving between pages quickly, use the ' Trisul ' pointer and drag.
3) To play continuously, use the ' Auto Play ' toggle from the Option Menu.
Tags: how to recite ekadesi rudram , best rendition of rudram , best way to learn rudram