Second Baptist Church - Aiken
50 - 100 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
+ By Atlas Web Media
its commitment to the mission of uplifting and improving the lives of the residents of the Aiken community. The present building, which is located on Hampton Avenue, was designed and constructed in 1920 by the pastor, architect, and builder Reverend Jesse M. Miles.
Second Baptist has always been an active participant in the life and growth of Aiken. The first Head Start program in Aiken was organized and held at the Church. Second Baptist youths were the first African-Americans to take part in the citywide athletic church league.
Reverend Douglas A. Slaughter is only the eleventh pastor to serve the church in its more than 100-year history. Since the beginning of his leadership in September of 1993, Second Baptist Church has been able to continue in many ways to accelerate its broader mission of initiating service and programs aimed at the defined needs of the total Aiken community.