St Stephen Church App
1 - 5 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
Named for St. Stephen, a deacon and martyr, St. Stephen Martyr Church was officially established as a parish in 1921 when Rev. John J. Cox became its first full time pastor. Its roots, however, extend back to 1918 and the time when Don Antonio Maria Lugo, the owner of Rancho San Antonio (later named Ramona Acres), gave a small piece of property for the construction of a wooden structure that was to be the first St. Stephen Martyr Church. In 1924 Rev. Michael Conneally succeeded Fr. Cox as pastor and then established the first parish school of four rooms in 1926. The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary accepted the invitation to administer the school and continued to do so for 67 years as pupil numbers increased and additional classrooms were built. In 1947 a new convent located at 122 S. Ramona Avenue was built for the Sisters who staffed the school. Today this convent is home to the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny who volunteer in various parish ministries. It also houses the St. Stephen’s Community Outreach Center which assists local families with food, clothing and other necessities.