Suffolk Real Ale Pub Finder
1,000 - 5,000 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
+ By Tony Green
All nearby pubs selling Real Ale are shown on the map; tap on a pub for its name, then on its name for more information and the opportunity to get directions to the pub.
New! You can now tag pubs that you've visited, rate them and add your own notes about them.
Pubs not selling Real Ale are normally not shown, but you can display them if you wish.
The app will check for updated pubs data no more than once a week, but will ask you before downloading. Optionally, you can disable automatic checks altogether or only allow them if your device is WiFi connected. You can manually check for updates at any time you wish.
** Known issues **
* Some devices running the Gingerbread version of Android don't show a menu button at the top of the app. Menu functions are still available from the device's hardware menu button. Those few devices lacking a hardware menu button will not be able to access some of the more advanced features of the app, but pubs data will be available.
* App stays blank during startup as it's generating its initial map.
If you're interested in pub history, you may also like our Lost Pubs of Suffolk app.
Explanation of permission requirements
* MAPS_RECEIVE: needed to access Google maps.
* CALL_PHONE: used so the app can provide a button to directly dial the pub's 'phone number.
* INTERNET: needed to get pub update files from the Camra server and to link to websites.
* ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: needed to check network connectivity before trying to update pub data files.
* WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE/READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: needed so the app can store photographs of the pubs locally rather than always needing a network connection (files are small and even if you collect a lot they won't take up much space).
* READ_GSERVICES: needed in order to get directions to a pub.
* ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION/ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: needed to locate you in order to centre the map and provide directions.
Improvements to the way settings and any notes you've made about pubs are backed-up to the Cloud. Note that this will only work if you have enabled data backup in your device's settings
* Fix to minor bug in 2.0.27
* Improvement in pubs data update process.
* Added better support for tablet devices.
* Now uses full-screen mode by default (this can be changed from the menu if you prefer).