Wiki Pal™ (voice browser)
10,000 - 50,000 downloadsAdd this app to your listsTweets por @Appszoom
PLEASE NOTE: THIS APP WAS INITIALLY RELEASED IN MAY 2012 AS PROOF-OF-CONCEPT TO PROVIDE A GLIMPSE INTO YIZRI'S VISION OF NAVIGATING THE WEB AND ANY WEBSITE HANDS-FREE & EYES-FREE, BACKED BY 2 PATENTS (3RD ON THE WAY...). SINCE THEN, GOOGLE APPEARS TO HAVE CHANGED ITS SPEECH RECOGNITION SERVICE IN A WAY THAT INTERFERES WITH THE ORIGINAL IMPLEMENTATION. WE ARE WORKING ON A SOLUTION & MANY OTHER IMPROVEMENTS. UNTIL THEN, PLEASE CONSIDER THIS APP EXPERIMENTAL. THANK YOU.
Utilizing the latest state of the art text-to-speech and speech recognition technologies, VoiceSee™ Wiki Pal is the world's first hands-free *and* eyes-free Wikipedia web browser for your Android mobile phone or tablet.
Turn downtime to fun time by listening to VoiceSee™ Wiki Pal in your walk, exercise, commute, or any other activity that requires your visual attention.
Stuck in traffic and you still need to check a piece of information before that meeting in the big city?
Or... trying to read in the outdoors on a beautiful sunny day?
Use your voice to tell Wikipedia which Wikipedia entry to search for. Speak to navigate through the overview, key highlights and entry section via voice only – no need to use your eyes (!) because Sadie (the voice of VoiceSee) will be reading you, the entry's content. All you have to do is listen.
Enjoy the "Dick Tracy" access to Wikipedia - ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. This is unlike anything you have seen before: Siri doesn't read you websites. VoiceSee does! Screen readers don't listen. VoiceSee does!
As an added bonus, you can say: “Search via Google” and you will hear Wiki Pal prompting you for the search term. You can visit any website using Wiki Pal.
There are also usage FAQs at:
1. When prompted to speak, always wait one or two seconds after the low tone double-beep.
2. Sometimes, you may need to repeat the answer in order to be heard.
3. To interrupt Sadie in the middle of a paragraph, touch the Search button.
4. To interrupt Sadie at the end of paragraphs, talk as soon as you hear the double-beep: "stop!" or "pause!"
5. To continue from the next paragraph, say: "continue!".
6. To disable scrolling & link opening via touch, say: "Disable Touch!". To re-enable, say: "Enable Touch!"
7. To make Sadie speak faster (or slower) say: "Speak faster!" (or "Speak more slowly!").
8. To reset to default speech rate say: "Speak normal!"
9. To accurately spell a search term or phrase, enter SPELL mode by saying: "Let me spell it for you!" (or just "Let me spell!"). Then, spell each letter only after Sadie has acknowledged the recognition of the previous letter.
10. To exit SPELL mode, say: "finish spelling", "end spelling" or "spelling complete".
11. To skip 1-9 paragraphs when reading the overview or a section, just say the number (e.g. "one!", "three!", etc.)
12. Shake your phone to wake up listening if stuck (acknowledged by Sadie saying "Ouch!"13. If you're unsure what to say, just say: “Help!”
To use a headset with PAUSE/PLAY, NEXT & PREV buttons, press:
1. PAUSE/PLAY (middle) to pause. Press it again to continue.
2. NEXT (bottom) to immediately skip to the next item in the list.
3. PREV (top) to immediately go back to the previous item in the list.
*Pressing headset buttons while NOT reading an item or an article may produce erratic results. Use this feature only when Sadie reads an item from a list.
Currently only Wikipedia is supported, but in the future, it will support other Wikis, be it LostPedia, Urban Dictionary or others -- Please tell us which ones you want to access via Wiki Pal.
Devices: Android (version 2.2 and higher)
Google Voice Search must be installed on the Android phone. Note: most devices are already equipped with Google Voice Search. Otherwise, it can be freely downloaded from Google Play.
VoiceSee™ Wiki Pal is FREE as long as it's in beta.
Tags: how do we speak to the voice browser, wiki pal on google play, voice browser, culinary pal voicesee, culinary pal wget, voicesee culinary pal, voicesee, voicesee wiki pal, wiki pal™ voice browser.
Beeping adaptive to speech recognizer ver.
+ Bugfix TTS engine on some Jelly Bean devices
+ Speed up page intro (user preference).
+ Delete a startpage you added, by long-pressing it on the Start Page preference list.
+ Shorter prompts for Wikipedia & Google (user option, via settings) -- Please send us improvement suggestions.
+ To search via Google, say: "Go to Google!", "Search by Google!", "Search via Google!" or "Take me to Google!"
+ Settings > More > Make this a Start Page