One of the first radio stations to be established in the Maritimes, CJLS began broadcasting in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia April 1, 1934 as the Gateway Broadcasting Company under ownership of Laurie L. Smith. The station operated commercially from studios and a 100 watt transmitter located on the top floor of the old Grand Hotel. In 1940 it moved to the Radio Building at 222 Main Street, increasing power to 250 watts and locating a 100 foot tower and transmitter at a site in Brooklyn, Yarmouth County. Control was effectively taken over by Laurie's wife, Jennie and two sons, Donald and Malcom, who operated CJLS until 1968.
Yarmouth businessman, Leland G. Trask, acquired the assets of the Gateway Broadcasting Company from the Smith family and was granted the broadcasting license for CJLS in November of 1968. Gateway Broadcasting Company was changed to a new corporate name, Radio CJLS Limited. The studios remained at 222 Main Street and a new 5,000 watt transmitter was located at Overton, Yarmouth County with a three tower array.
CJLS extended its signal in 1980 to the counties of Shelburne and Digby via FM stereo repeater transmitters... 96.3 FM at Barrington Passage (5,500 watts), and 93.5 FM at New Tusket (3,000 watts). In 1981, CJLS studios were relocated to the second floor of Centre Town Square, Yarmouth. On July 1, 1998, ownership and operation of Radio CJLS Ltd. was acquired by Gerry Boudreau, Chris Perry, and Ray Zinck. On February 1, 2003 the ownership of CJLS changed with the retirement of Gerry Boudreau. Current owners are Ray Zinck and Chris Perry.
In June 2003, CJLS replaced its AM service with a new 95.5 FM stereo broadcasting signal (18,000 watts) from a new tower in Tusket for the central market of Yarmouth County.
Today, CJLS is well established in the industry as a successful and dynamic private commercial broadcaster.
from 14 reviews