COJ can be used as either a standalone practice tool or as a supplement to the publication “Concepts of Jazz, For all Musicians.”
The app is an excellent practice tool for running through standard jazz progressions and can also be used by educators and teachers within the context of their tutorials.
Users can make use of the backing tracks, the tuning function, swing beats along with keeping track of their progress using the handy notes tab.
Record your playing from within the app, keep up on jazz news from around the world, and much, much more.
Key Features Include:
- MP3 audio backing tracks featuring “standard” jazz progressions: beginner to advanced.
- Standard progressions include - Rhythm changes and variations, jazz blues and variations, minor blues and variations, Parker blues and variations and cyclic progressions.
- Tuning notes - not a horrible “tone” - a real sampled piano! Middle C, Bb, Eb, Ab, E and A for a range of instruments.
- Beats - 3 swing-feel looped jazz beats in slow (Andante - 75bpm), medium (Allegretto - 110bpm) and medium-fast (Vivace - 145bpm)
- Record function - record yourself from within the app.
- Notes tab - make notes of your progress, things to work on and more.
- News tab - get all of your “jazz” based news from around the world in one easy location.
- Links to purchase the “Concepts of Jazz” textbook and more.