10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads
- Scrollable streams
- User-friendly interface
- Fast and reliable
- Audio and video resources too
- It should enhance it sharing options
+ By BBC Worldwide (Ltd)
BBC News is the official Android app of the news channel
There are lots of apps that stream different news sources like readers. However, there are always some sources we rely most because we're used to them or maybe because we agree with their editorial line. If that is what happen to you regarding BBC News, keep reading.
BBC News is a news reader which only source is BBC. However, it streams BBC from different regions and categories: Sports, Health, Middle East, USA, Tech... You can choose what categories you want to highlight in the home. Each one of the rows is a category chosen by you. Thus, the home is made up by scrollable streams with articles sorted by latest. Just tap on the image to read them. It opens the article really fast.
There's no need to launch the browser: you can read the full article from the app. What's more, you can share articles by long-pressing on its preview (not really intuitive this way to share). You can also access videos and audio resources provided by BBC as well as send to BBC news reports (attaching phone number and location) if something noticeable is happening around you.
In a nutshell, BBC News brings to this app the most of the resources available in the web version. Reporting to the editorial team is an added-value feature. The only catch of this app is that it should enhance the sharing options.
• All the latest news as it happens
• Watch or listen to the latest news headlines
• Opt in for breaking news push notifications
• Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them offline at your leisure
• Share stories to a range of social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
• Personalise the home screen by adding, removing and re-ordering news categories to suit your preferences
• Listen live to BBC World Service radio
• Home screen widgets to keep you up to date
• Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
• Set text size to suit your preferences
• Ability to send stories, video, and photos directly to the BBC News team
• Full range of News categories: Top stories, US & Canada, Europe, Latin America, Asia, Middle East, Africa, UK, Technology, Business, Features & Analysis, Science & Environment, Entertainment & Arts, Health, Also In The News, Sport
• Ability to store the app on the SD card. Widgets will not be available if you choose to use this function. This is a feature of the Android system.
*Currently unavailable for devices running 2.2 and below. We are working on a fix and this will be available soon.
• Push notifications for big breaking news stories
• Landscape support for all devices
• Various bug fixes including an issue that occasionally caused duplicate push notifications.
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by ProcessOne on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed. The BBC will keep your information secure and not share it with anyone else in accordance with the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy, available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy/
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications in the app’s settings screen.
• INTERNET: Used to get the latest news content from the BBC
• ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Used to determine whether you are on 3G or WiFi to deliver the best quality content
• WAKE_LOCK: Used if you enable background updates in settings
• GET_ACCOUNTS: Used to determine if your device is capable of receiving Push messages
• C2D_RECEIVE/C2D_MESSAGE: Used to receive Push messages if you opt in
Added support for Android 5.0 Lollipop and general bug fixes.
Please help to end the dictatorship in SriLanka
Please update this app to the new Material UI for Android L.
BBC NEWS always reports REAL news...news that is relevant to the world's people, not the crap that's only relevant to one person's criminal conduct and the folks affected by it. Tragedies occur every minute & I have empathy for the people involved. However, a house fire being reported isn't the news I need to know about. I love real news. Thank you BBC.
Easy to read and understand and best for all news of the world.
World wide news have its own acknowledment