5,000,000 - 10,000,000 downloads
- Didn't find any. Did you?
- Didn't find any. Did you?
+ By Media Applications Technologies for the BBC
The official news app from BBC's journalist team
Welcome to the official BBC News app, bringing you the latest from the acclaimed UK-based journalists. All the most recent updates on tech, sports, health, entertainment, and business are here - personalize your settings so you see just the news that's most important to you. The video version of BBC News is also accessible from the app, offering live reports from around the world as developments take place.
If you like, the app can send you push notifications as really important news breaks. You can also set it so that stories will only download when you have wifi, so you can then read them from anywhere without threatening your data plan.
If you tune in to the BBC frequently - or if you're just looking for a solid news app covering international events - the official BBC News app is a great choice.
Top Stories brings you the latest, breaking news from our trusted global network of journalists.
My News is a newly introduced feature allowing you to personalise your news offering.
Add topics wherever you see the + icon for a quick route straight to the stories you care about.
Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed. Here you can order stories by topic or time, and use the Manage Topics screen to stay on top of the news of the day.
Find content fast
The app can suggest topics based on your location, stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
And you can quickly find topics that interest you using the Topic Search. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Politics, Business, Entertainment and Health or search for your own subjects of interest whether they’re people, places, things or themes
More of the news you care about
We now offer a fuller selection of stories from the newsroom, including:
- Most Read and Most Watched. Keep on top of popular stories across the BBC, regularly updated throughout the day
- Live BBC News channel, up-to-the-minute reports available 24-hours a day
- Read the best journalism from BBC correspondents
- Access to our full range of video and audio
- Photo galleries and full-screen images
- Push notifications for breaking news stories
- Video over 3G and wifi
- Improved offline experience. Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them at your leisure
- Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
- Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
- Home screen widgets. Configurable to reflect your choice of topics, resizable to suit your screen layout and stylable to view as a stack or list widget
- Font controls to increase or decrease the story text size to suit you
- Related stories, related topics. Go deeper into a storyline with suggestions for further reading and viewing and a range of topics related to each story
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by ProcessOne on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed. The BBC will keep your information secure and not share it with anyone else in accordance with the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy, available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy/
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications in the app’s settings screen.
- INTERNET: Used to get the latest news content from the BBC
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Used to determine whether you are on 3G or Wifi to deliver the best quality content
- WAKE_LOCK: Used if you enable background updates in settings
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Used to determine if your device is capable of receiving Push messages
- C2D_RECEIVE/C2D_MESSAGE: Used to receive Push messages if you opt in
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows the app to suggest news based on your location (Android 4.0 and above)
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS/WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS/AUTHENTICATE_ACCOUNTS: Used for managing background updates to get the latest news content from the BBC (Android 4.0 and above)
Version 3.0.3 UK:
Several bug fixes including images loading in widgets.
Version 3.0.0 UK:
The redesigned BBC News app brings you more content, greater personalisation and improved performance
Add topics to your personal My News feed wherever you see the + icon
Get suggested topics based on location, what’s in the news or use Topic Search
Enjoy a fuller selection of stories:
- Journalism from BBC correspondents
- Most Read and Most Watched
- Photo galleries
- - Know what access (wifi, 3G…) you have at every moment.
- - Have access to the list of accounts linked to your device.
- - Send and receive internet info.
- - Prevent your device from sleeping or screen from dimming (turn brightness down).
- - bbc.mobile.news.uk.permission.C2D_MESSAGE
- - com.google.android.c2dm.permission.RECEIVE
Displaying 3 of 0 - show all
- UpdatedNew version 3.0.3 UK released on 02/16/15.
- UpdatedNew version 3.0.1 UK released on 02/02/15.
- UpdatedNew version 2.5.5 UK released on 12/20/14.
- NewApplication reactivated on 07/31/14.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 5000000 downloads level reached on 07/31/14.
- UpdatedNew version 2.4.5 UK released on 11/07/13.
- UpdatedNew version 2.4.4 UK released on 08/09/13.
- UpdatedNew version 2.4.3 UK released on 07/08/13.
- UpdatedNew version 2.2 released on 03/25/13.
- UpdatedNew version 2.1 released on 01/11/13.
- UpdatedNew version 2.0 released on 12/12/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.3.3 released on 08/17/12.
- NewFirst appearance on 07/05/12.
Displaying 4 of 13 - show all
Much preferred the previous version. This one just doesn't feel right or impartial enough for tge BBC
This app is easy to configure and keeps me updated with all the news both local, national and international. In addition there are options to select various topics of interest all neatly packaged
Very clever, personalised and easy to use!
Hard to scroll through the stories or find which news items you want. Touch the widget and you usually get a pop up with an annoying question or tip instead of the news item.
I enjoy reading the news and the information you get is very good