500,000 - 1,000,000 downloads
- Ireland news
- Constantly updated
- Easy to use
- Drains battery
+ By Distilled Media
Get Ireland's headline and breaking news all day long.
This news app is a must if you live in Ireland. It gives you the newest news all day long. Featuring videos and slideshows, these stories are easy to read and easy to share. You can even read offline! And if you come across a news story of your own, simply snap a picture and send it in.
This app gives you all news all the time. It's live and constantly updated. It's easy to use and you can even add your own news stories.
The app is a battery hog.
What they say about us?
* "Best Addition to Irish Media 2010" - Ian Dempsey, Today FM
* "Flawless Coverage" - Ryan Tubridy
* "The Future" - Mike Butcher, TechCrunch Europe
We've also won a lot of awards:
- "Rising Star" - Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards 2014
- "Best News Website" - Eircom Spiders 2011
- "Best Digital Editor - Susan Daly" - Eircom Spiders 2011
- "Overall Grand Prix Winner" - Eircom Spiders 2011
- "Best Online Only Publication" - Irish Web Awards 2011
- "Best Overall Website in Ireland" - Irish Web Awards 2011
- "Best Media/Publishing App" - The Appys 2011
- Breaking news and opinion from Ireland and around the web
- Offline reading
- Submit photos and video directly to our journalists from your phone
- View slideshows with high-res photography
- Make your voice heard by voting in our polls
- Watch embedded videos from youtube and videos submitted by our users
- Tweet articles directly from the app
- Share articles with your friends on facebook
- Email articles to friends
- Comment on the stories with your facebook or twitter account
- Search by article tag
- Ability to switch to our sister publications: TheScore, BusinessETC and TheDailyEdge
- Open any Journal links on twitter, facebook or email within the app
- Add widgets to your homescreen to get the latest news at a glance
Follow us at twitter.com/thejournal_ie or www.facebook.com/thejournal.ie to get the latest news
Please note: If the app is moved to the SD card, you will not be able to add widgets to the homescreen. If you already have the app installed on the SD card, simply move it across onto the phone and it should appear in the list of available widgets. A phone restart after moving the app may be required in some cases.
- Bug fixes
- UI tweaks to the home screen
- Added pull to refresh on liveblogs
- Widgets now auto-refresh more reliably
- Fix for comment sorting options
New permissions needed:
- Location: We're shortly rolling out local news and weather updates
- Wifi: Use of known wifi locations to optimise GIF and video playback quality
- Vibrate: Vibrating notification for key match updates from liveblogs
This website does not have the testicular fortitude to criticise the irish government. Had enough of faux journalism
This app has great content and is well laid out but it's been eating my battery recently as per the other reviews here so I had to uninstall.
For the past while now I keep getting notifications from cleanmaster that the app is lagging my cpu, heating up the phone and starting in the background constantly. Happening a few times a day. Deleted and reinstalled but that hasn't seemed to have made any difference. Was a great app and is a great site though. Anyone else having similar issues?
I absolutely LOVE this app. Fantastic way to get my news every day. However, with the latest updates, my phone battery doesn't last past 6pm. When I list the apps that are draining the battery, The Journal is always *by far* top of the list. I will need to uninstall if I want my phone to last all day .... really don't want to do this =(
it worked great for a while. I loved how fast it updated stories. but now it won't open, I've uninstalled and left it for a few weeks hoping that there might be an update, reinstalled and no such luck. still crashing
Stopped updating, uninstalled a nd reloaded still will not update.
Uninstalled the app as it kept creating a gallery folder called mopub with adverts in it. Not interested in this