10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads
- Good-looking layout
- User-friendly interface
- Lots of free publications
- Google Trendings
- RSS reader should be enhanced
- Import/export RSS (by batches)
- Social integration
Google Currents allows you to read digital subscriptions, RSS feeds, blogs and Google trending histories
Google Currents is a comprehensive reader app focused on digital magazines (both free and paid subscriptions). It offers a neat interface and a horizontal drag and flip experience that, despite isn't as stunning as Flipboard regarding effects, it's quite fast. It seems that Google Currents has been especially designed for publications such as: CNET, Forbes, Hufftington Post, The Root, the Guardian...
There are lots of subscriptions divided by categories. You can add as many as you want. Actually, and that's its strongest point, there's a platform provided by Google Currents that allows users to create their own current channel and get subscribers.
Users can also integrate their RSS feeds manually or add (one by one) them from Google Reader account. Although it can also work as a RSS reader, it's not as fast and comfortable as other specific apps. There's a lack of sorting, personalizing and tagging options in this regard.
Finally, you can check Google Trendings, which uses Google search technology to track the five most recent trending stories in different categories. Each story is presented in a fresh edition of articles, videos and pictures.
Google Currents is an expected publication reader provided by Google Inc. However, I personally think that it needs to improve in some regards: import/export RSS, social networks feeds integration and free of choice on sorting content.
* Publisher editions - Publishers such as Forbes, The Guardian, TechCrunch, PBS, Saveur, and more have produced hundreds of editions including full length, in-depth articles, videos, fine photography, and slideshows. Editions are free - covering news, business, lifestyle, fashion, sports, science, technology, design, food, entertainment and more.
* Fast scan - A new navigation mode lets you quickly swipe vertically to discover unread stories within an edition, swipe horizontally to move to the next edition within a category. Or, use the “sidebar” to jump ahead to a specific edition.
* Breaking stories - Google Currents uses Google search technology to deliver the hottest breaking stories in categories such as world, entertainment, sports, science, and more. As you travel to different countries, additional breaking stories are added to match your location.
* Saved stories - Run across an in-depth article that you want to read later, or a special recipe you want to keep? Star any story to be saved for later, in your personal Saved stories edition.
* Your favorite blogs and feeds - Instantly, turn your Google Reader subscriptions, or any of your favorite blogs/feeds into a beautiful edition with a magazine feel.
* Translate - Currents uses Google translate technology to translate editions into a preferred language of your choice. 44 languages are supported.
* Widget - Immediately see fresh news on your android home screen with the Google Currents widget.
Each edition is available for high speed offline reading, and provides quick-touch sharing. Google Currents self-adapts to differently sized phones and tablets, with subscriptions synchronized across devices. Google Currents - a reading experience not to be missed.
Named by New York Times, The Next Web, SlashGear and more as a top 10 Android app.
* Bug fixes
- Nicolas B. Downloaded Jul 10, 2013
- Lalit K. Downloaded Jun 3, 2013
- brigreen Downloaded Jun 1, 2013
- kellyjochmans Downloaded May 10, 2013
- Evandro.as Downloaded Apr 29, 2013
- Tizalen Favorited Apr 23, 2013
- Energy_11 Downloaded Apr 21, 2013
- ertuncefeoglu Favorited Apr 1, 2013
- Leigh H. Downloaded Mar 21, 2013
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
Another lame attempt by Google to get our info. LAME-O
This was one of my favorite apps on my nexus and HTC one but since I've had my note 3 it force closes on certain pages (into mobile) if this is fixed 5 stars
I have had this app on my phone since the day I got it. I have never really tried using it until today. It is smooth, a central place for lots of content and easy to use. I love this app. Good work Google.
it's all good but.. 5 stars if i can save pictures
Lots of options and good user interface. Some of the articles don't load sometimes so that can be pretty annoying.
Blow it .. Goodd app
Great app deserves five stars but I am giving only 3 seats coz it consumes a large amount of data compared to other News Apps