10,000 - 50,000 downloads
- Compression and precaching options
- Ease of use
- Offline mode
- Two-column mode (tablets)
- Holo layout
- Android 2.2+
- Too sober
- Should be more visual
RedReader Beta is an unofficial Reddit reader
The success of Reddit shows the current state of the Internet. Fast-news, coming not just from newspapers but from everyone, everyone and concerning whatever. A chaotic public wall in which news, memes and curiosities flow to keep you both fun and up-to-date. Whatever you are watching today in the news was in Reddit three days ago.
RedReader is a comfortable and well-crafted reader for Reddit. Users can access anonymously or by logging in (multiple accounts support). Thanks to its intuitive interface, users can access Reddit's front page, all subreddits or even create custom subreddits. In addition, it comes with interesting filters as hot, new, rising, controversial and top. From any of these filters you will have access what's being most discussed or watched on reddit, which is like keeping the track of the virals.
Lots of features will improve your reading experience. First, it allows to swipe posts left and right to perform customizable actions, such as upvote/downvote or save/hide (default). In addition, it automatically sync with the web and it keeps a cache of the reddits in order to let you check them offline. If you have data limits concerns, don't worry, since it works with image precaching which is optional (always, never or WiFi only). Compression makes the difference.
RedReader is set in a Holo-layout although it can be used on Android 2.2+ devices. Actually, if you are running it from a tablet, you will enjoy its two-column mode that allows to load content on one stream will keeping the timeline on the other.
In a few words, an excellent app for reddit-addicted.
The only catch of the app is that it
- Free and Open Source - no ads/tracking.
- Swipe posts left and right to perform customizable actions, such as upvote/downvote, or save/hide.
- Advanced cache management - automatically stores past versions of posts and comments.
- Streaming - shows posts/comments as they download - good for slow connections.
- Support for multiple accounts.
- Two-column tablet mode (can be used on your phone, if it's big enough)
- Image precaching (optional: always, never, or Wi-Fi only).
- Built in image viewer, and GIF player.
- Night mode (i.e. a dark theme)
- Holo theme on every device
- Support for Android 2.2+ (but works best on Android 4.0+)
- Translations for: English, German, Danish, and French (let me know if you'd like to help out!)
RedReader is beta software, so it is possible that you may encounter bugs.
Details of each crash in the UI thread will be logged to external storage, under the filename "redreader_crash_log_(UUID).txt" - please attach the relevant log when reporting a bug.
Crashes in other parts of the application will cause a prompt to be displayed asking you to email the exception details directly.
Available on GitHub: https://github.com/QuantumBadger/RedReader
- Jason Polites, for the GestureImageView (https://github.com/jasonpolites/gesture-imageview)
- Lawrence Dawson, for the ActiveTextView (https://github.com/laurencedawson/activetextview)
- tomorrowkey.jp, for the GIF decoder (https://code.google.com/p/android-gifview/)
- HoloEverywhere (https://github.com/Prototik/HoloEverywhere) and ActionBarSherlock (http://actionbarsherlock.com/)
- Apache, for various libraries
- The Jackson JSON processor (http://jackson.codehaus.org/)
- Joda (http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/)
- Ability to mark all inbox messages as read
- Added intent support for https (thanks to ajs124)
- Added support for redd.it links (thanks to ajs124)
- Fixed image view bug when rotating screen while touching (thanks to ThomasKomarnicki)
- Markdown link parsing improvements
- Fixed gif-related hang
- Fixed bug with subreddit names containing colons
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
Occasional lockups and restarts once I upgraded to Android 5.0, particularly when loading imgur albums.
If you read reddit, this is must application!
After some testing, it seems that if I open 2 gfy links in the same session, my phone locks up and restarts.
Best reddit app I've used so far, but not being able to reply to PMs is frustrating.
The ability to increase the text size to a surprising level makes this application excellent for those with poor eyesight. I am using my tablet and this is my favorite application. In short, reading is fun once again. Thank you.
Lets me go PC to mobile without having to see the posts I've already hidden, works great. Internal browser sometimes cuts the end off of gifs