1,000,000 - 5,000,000 downloads
- Cool layout (black/white)
- Audio articles
- Good free editor's highlights
- It takes too long to download issues
The Economist is the official app of the globally well-known magazine
Whether you're subscriber, follower or just you don't even know The Economist, this app is a good way to enjoy its content from your Android. Of course there are difference: if you're subscriber you'll have access to all the content. If you aren't, you will have free access just to an editor's highlights, a compilation of articles (but no worries, that selection is interesting enough).
Download each week's issue to your device to read it offline. If you aren't subscriber and you want to read the full issue, you can buy it from the Android market (it costs around $6). Swipe to turn page (to the next article) or download audio option to listen to it. Switch layout (night/day) to black and white (better black to save battery). Change font size, share articles or lock screen orientation.
Enjoy from now of The Economist free content by downloading the app. If after checking the full index an article that spark your interest, go buy it and get the full version of the magazine. Directly from the Android market. It seems that some users have noticed forcecloses or device heating. We didn't, so we can say that happens in all device. Recommendable app.
The app is free to download and includes free access to the Editor's picks – a weekly selection of articles from each week’s edition of The Economist.
Digital and print subscribers to The Economist receive unrestricted access to each week’s full print edition.
• Each week’s issue available from 9pm London time each Thursday
• Download each issue to your device to read without an internet connection
• Switch easily between reading and listening with The Economist in audio
• Store and access back issues
• Purchase single issues in app
• Subscribe from within the app for full access to The Economist on Android tablets, Android smartphones, iPhone, iPad, Windows 8, BlackBerry PlayBook, BlackBerry 10 and Economist.com
• Share articles via e-mail, Twitter and Facebook
The Economist on Android operates on tablets and smartphones running Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
ABOUT THE ECONOMIST
The Economist is a weekly international news and business publication, offering clear reporting, commentary and analysis on world current affairs, business, finance, science and technology, culture, society, media and the arts.
Should you require any assistance using our app please visit http://www.economist.com/help/android for answers to frequently asked questions as well as ways to contact customer support.
This update adds support for Android 4.4.
The Digital Editions Team
- Prometheus W. Downloaded Nov 7, 2013
- Farshad K. Favorited Oct 25, 2013
- kongming3410 Downloaded Oct 9, 2013
- Kai J. Downloaded Oct 9, 2013
- Angelos K. Downloaded Sep 19, 2013
- Dur2010 Downloaded Aug 18, 2013
- Wangssssssc Downloaded Aug 16, 2013
- Wangzfox Downloaded Aug 15, 2013
- isa.serna Downloaded Jul 7, 2013
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
This app has always been problematic: if I switch to another app it loses my position in the article, sometimes even going back to a completely different article; sometimes after restarting my phone it loses the downloaded issues. However, after upgrading
It took me 12 attempts to sign in on a WiFi connection even! Very slow and very slow!
A must have for me.
The IT guys should be given the boot. Every upgrade loses the account info and re subscribing keeps telling you to retry. Audio lacks flexibility - employ someone who know what they are doing
Usability of the app is disappointing. Page turns are clunky (why are they necessary anyway) and ever so often you get stuck in full page ads. Come on Economist, improve!
Slow and oudated