1,000 - 5,000 downloads
- Text extraction from scanned documents
- Extract by batches
- Supports up to 33 languages (Google Translate)
- Interface could be improved
- It doesn't convert documents to different formats
What's more, Scanthing extracts text from pictures and documents and allows you to search by keywords on your phone using OCR tech. Scan cards, newspapers articles, letters, full articles, pictures... whatever you need. Actually text extraction is its added-value feature. However, unlike other scanning apps, it doesn't includes conversion to different formats. Anyway, we must insist that its OCR tech seems really above average.
After capturing the document, you can rotate and crop the text you want to extract. Bear in mind that it works with all kinds of typefaces but not with handwriting. It works along Google Translate, so it supports up to more than 30 languages. After scanning you can search for your documents by means of the search bar at the top. What's more, you can convert by batches and after that associate tags to your documents.
In a nutshell, this a useful app if what you want to do is an specific thing: extracting text from scanned documents. As scanner itself, there are other more complete apps on the Android Market. However, the most of them don't extract text or don't do it better than Scanthing. For this reason, it's well worth to give it a go.
on Android Play - as recognised by our users - just read the reviews!
Scanthing extracts text from pictures and documents and allows you to
search for them by keywords on your phone using OCR (Optical Character
Recognition) technology and now playback the text using Text-To-Speech
Technology. Its the only Document Scanner you need.
“I use the app to scan newspaper and magazine articles, the conversion
to text is excellent if I need to reference the text in materials for
my students“ - Rachel Heath, Teacher
“Just used it to translate from a menu in Dutch to English in under 20
seconds whilst sitting in the restaurant, amazing!“ - Lucky Brekova,
Lover of Fine Dining
"As a person with very poor sight Scanthing gives me a third eye
meaning I can get on with my life wherever I am" - Steve Wright,
Partially Blind but very Active.
#EYESFREE - we are now pleased to announce that the latest version on
Play (1.3) supports technology specifically designed for the Blind. It
fully integrates into Android Talkback and Explore by touch. Users
can, with one click, capture and image, trigger OCR and then have the
text played back on the phone through text to speech.
* Capture your image using our dedicated camera, your mobile’s own
camera or an existing image from your gallery. Rotate and crop the
text you want to extract.
* Then extract the text using our powerful server-side OCR that runs
in the background so you can carry on using your phone.
* Using a Text-To-Speech Engine of your choice (we recommend IVONA)
you can play back the text, sentence by sentence directly through
* Scanthing will automatically recognise and extract contact
information, such as Telephone Numbers, Web URLs and Email Addresses
for easy, one click linking to other features on your phone such as
web browser, email client or your contacts database.
* Works with all printed typefaces, but please note it will not be
able to read your handwriting.
* Use with Google Translate on your phone to convert from one of the
33 languages we support to another.
* Fully secured HTTPS connection to our servers. We do not retain your
image or extracted text after processing.
* After Scan, search for your documents by just using a few keywords.
* Share image or extracted text by Email, Dropbox, Evernote, Google
Translate and other apps.
* Add more images to existing documents, see documents by thumbnails.
* Convert many documents at once in a batch, because the OCR
processing is done on our servers the performance of your phone is not
* Associate Tags with your documents and then use Tags to find
documents fast when your on the move.
* Support for 33 languages, just set your default version in the settings.
* The app itself has been translated to German, French, Spanish and
Russian. The Russian translation was kindly done by one of our users:
OCR Languages Supported:
Keywords: OCR, Scan, Document Scanner, ScanToPDF, Receipt Scanner,
Extract Text, camscanner, docscanner, optical character recognition,
Text-To-Speech, TTS, MobileOCR, Google Goggles, OCR Test, KNFB
reader, Mobile OCR Free, Mobile OCR, Extract Text from images, mOCRa,
MobiReader, TalkBack, Blind Reader, Screen Reader
Recently changed in this version:
Add enhancements for Eyes-Free mode
Fix camera problem with Sony devices
Various bug fixes
Last activity on Scanthing OCR
- muhammadkonain Downloaded 4d ago
- helga_helguci Downloaded 5h ago
- AbdulW Downloaded May 8, 2013
- Pastor Uriel Campos Downloaded Apr 29, 2013
- colddream Downloaded Apr 5, 2013
- Mareeswaran Downloaded Mar 2, 2013
- teacher.im Downloaded Feb 27, 2013
- biniyas Downloaded Feb 27, 2013
- tchernoff_zm Downloaded Feb 20, 2013
Lists with: Scanthing OCR
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
Comments and ratings for Scanthing OCR
1 out of 20 texts are recognising, this leaves the entire app useless. I reinstalled as this was more than disappointing.
Works much better than I'd have thought
I have a Reading Disability and would see this as extremely helpful. Could you add converting files, like, PDF or documents? If so, I could highly recommend your product to others in the Learning Disability world! Keep up the good work! Thanks
Initial confusion eliminated (about saving docs), great to turn image (OCR) into text usable in .doc, to mail, or a variety of other options. Best OCR app I've tried, intuitive and as mentioned questions developer will actually address. Highly recommended
Best OCR app I have used so far,requires mobile connectivity but worth it for the quality of results, like that I can search for documents very easily. Update march : love the fact it finds telephone numbers and emails automatically from Images saves me
Do not purchase this app! It takes forever to get going. Once it is figured out and the OCR is in progress it is way past the 15 minute refund window from the Google Play Store.
I love this app. It is amazing!