Chambers Deluxe & Thesaurus
10 - 50 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
Chambers is one of the world’s most respected dictionary publishers. Meticulously researched and expertly written, the highly acclaimed Chambers range has been at the forefront of presenting knowledge and learning in an engaging and accessible way since it was first established in the 19th century.
Now you can add vigour and variety to your speech and writing at the swipe of a 21st century finger tip. Fast, flexible and fun to use, The Chambers Deluxe Dictionary & Thesaurus app also includes a “Random Word” search and a “Word of the Day” feature to delight in daily discoveries of new words. It also includes exciting new word games like Hangman, Word Scramble and Anagrams to entertain as you learn.
First published in 1872, The Chambers Dictionary contains more words, phrases and meanings than any other single-volume English dictionary – over 620,000 in all.
Rather than clog up space with lengthy definitions of everyday words, The Chambers Dictionary keeps them short, creating space for more intriguing, obscure and historically charged entries – from alizari through to zuz. Peppered with witty definitions, Chambers is a pleasure to use.
420,000 alternatives for 18,000 words help you find the right word for every context and occasion
Over 415,000 synonyms and antonyms
Special notes throughout explain differences in meaning and usage
Lists of related terms cover topics as varied as types of flower and terms used in football
Quotations and proverbs to enjoy and employ
This edition includes hundreds of quotations and proverbs, helping you add sparkle to your writing and making the book even more of a pleasure to browse through.
The MSDict Dictionary Format
The Chambers Deluxe Dictionary & Thesaurus is here presented in MSDict electronic format. MSDict offers best experience in mobile reference and is available for any handheld platform.
* Quick dynamic search of words while you type
* Ability to add bookmarks to favorite words
* Hyperlinks between different related words
* History to see the last 50 words you have looked up
* Filters to help you locate the word you are searching for:
* Fuzzy filter- used when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* Keyword-used to locate the instances of a key word within other compound words
* Wild card - "?" and "*" replace a letter and group of letters in words
* Convenient two pane design for tablets
* Fast article scrolling
* Online and offline modes supported; the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the day as a widget on the phone home screen
* Ability to search words in the installed dictionaries through the standard phone search feature
* Support for memory cards
Recently changed in this version:
New Features in version 4.1.036
* UI optimization
New Features in version 4.1
* New stylish design
* Ability to bookmark words and create favorites lists
* Two pane design for tablets
* Optimization for tablets with hardware keyboard