English Dictionary - Offline
10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads
Also in : Language
- Super fast searching
- Smooth, user-friendly UI
- Internet required for words not in the offline database
- No thesaurus or encyclopedia like other dictionary apps
+ By Livio
Download English Dictionary - Offline
A super fast offline English dictionary
This extensive offline English dictionary app features 169,000 words and 114,000 inflected forms, with definitions sourced from English Wiktionary. It's a super quick and easy way of looking up words when you're without internet.
The features are basic but function well. You can look up words from the search bar or leaf through pages alphabetically by swiping left. Each definition has an audio for pronunciation, as well as translations into various languages. You can bookmark your favorite words and back them up for safe keeping.
If you're a crossword fan, you can search for words replacing the letters you don't know with ? and English Dictionary will provide possible answers. There's also a random word shuffler for you to learn new words and their meanings, and the app is compatible with both Moon Reader and FBReader.
The UI is sleek, smooth and user-friendly, and there are various options for customizing the screen (font size, colors etc). Being an offline dictionary, it is indeed super fast to do searches, but you do still need internet connection to search for words not featured offline.
♦ More than 182000 english definitions and large number of inflected forms
♦ Fast as it works offline, internet is used only when a word is not found in the offline dictionary
♦ You can leaf through words using your finger!
♦ Easy and functional user interface, optimized also for tablets
♦ Bookmarks and history with option to backup your bookmarks
♦ Crossword help: the symbol ? can be used in place of unknown letter
♦ Random search button (shuffle), useful to learn new words
♦ Compatible with Moon+ Reader and FBReader
♦ Themes with user defined text colors (how? press menu-->select Settings-->click on Theme)
♦ No voice output? Please follow instructions here: http://goo.gl/axXwR.
Word pronunciation works only if voice data have been installed in your phone (Text-to-speech engine).
♦ No automatic keyboard at startup? Please open the panel Settings and then set option Persistent Search
♦ Question & Answers: http://goo.gl/UnU7V
♦ Information about permissions used by the application can be found here: http://goo.gl/AsqT4C
You can post your suggestions on http://goo.gl/Xkk6d
In case Moon+ Reader does not list my dictionary: open pop-up "Customize dictionary" and select "Open dictionary directly when Long-Tap on a word"
⚠ An offline dictionary needs memory. In case your device has low memory, please consider to use the online dictionary: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=livio.dictionary
Information for application developers:
✔ This application provides Dictionary API for 3rd party developers, please read further details: http://thesaurus.altervista.org/dictionary-android
keywords: Englisch, Inglês, английский
This application requires the following permissions:
INTERNET - to retrieve the definition of unknown words
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE (aka Photos/Media/Files) - to backup configuration and bookmarks
English Dictionary - Offline Videos
Version 2.7.1: show/hide etymology
♦ Updated content
♦ Material design
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Jayne Deacon.
- - Know what access (wifi, 3G…) you have at every moment.
- - Send and receive internet info.
- - android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
- - Write whatever to your SD card.
Displaying 3 of 0 - show all
- DeletedApplication deleted from the Android Market 1d ago.
- UpdatedNew version 2.7.1 released on 04/14/15.
- UpdatedNew version 2.6 released on 03/21/15.
- UpdatedNew version 2.5.4 released on 12/21/14.
- UpdatedNew version 2.5.2 released on 11/17/14.
- UpdatedNew version 2.5 released on 10/14/14.
- UpdatedNew version 2.4 released on 06/08/14.
- UpdatedNew version 2.3 released on 03/01/14.
- UpdatedNew version 2.1.2 released on 12/21/13.
- UpdatedNew version 2.1 released on 11/23/13.
- UpdatedNew version 2.0.5 released on 10/13/13.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 5000000 downloads level reached on 09/04/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.9.3 released on 07/17/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.9.1 released on 06/16/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.8 released on 05/25/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.7 released on 05/04/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.6 released on 04/20/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.5 released on 03/16/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.4 released on 02/23/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.3.7 released on 01/25/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.3.6 released on 01/04/13.
- UpdatedNew version 1.3.5 released on 12/22/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 1000000 downloads level reached on 12/19/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.3 released on 12/01/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.2.4 released on 11/02/12.
- ChangesName changed from English Dictionary to English Dictionary - Offline on 10/22/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.2.2 released on 10/04/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 500000 downloads level reached on 09/20/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.2 released on 09/13/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.1.7 released on 08/11/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.1.6 released on 07/29/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.1.5 released on 07/05/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.1.4 released on 06/07/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.1.3 released on 05/16/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.1.2 released on 05/09/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 100000 downloads level reached on 04/29/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 50000 downloads level reached on 04/25/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.1.1 released on 04/21/12.
- UpdatedNew version 1.1.0 released on 04/21/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 10000 downloads level reached on 04/14/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 5000 downloads level reached on 04/10/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 1000 downloads level reached on 04/04/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 500 downloads level reached on 04/01/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 100 downloads level reached on 03/30/12.
- + downloadsBecomes more popular. 50 downloads level reached on 03/29/12.
- NewFirst appearance on 03/26/12.
Displaying 4 of 46 - show all
Great app and smooth handling of further word search
For once I have a dictionary that can give me meaning of a word by reading it.
Very usefull even you have no internet connection
The best I ever use
"A Great Dictionary "
Nice one as easy to look at without using internet......also contains synonyms and antonyms even uses in sentences are given so very useful and for each word all different types of meaning are there....!!!!