Fishing with 3G Nets Demo
1,000 - 5,000 downloadsAdd this app to your listsTweets por @Appszoom
Fishing with 3G Nets is a new system that integrates mobile and web-based applications and handheld devices to support sustainable fishing practices, business operations and deliver real-time market information to participating community members in Santa Cruz Cabrália, Bahia, Brazil.
• Poverty, overfishing and potential depletion of fishery resources constitute a real threat to many coastal communities relying on small-scale fisheries.1
• Many developing countries still lack adequate infrastructure, including hygienic landing centers, and access to electric power, potable water, and roads. Long supply chains requiring the availability of ice, cold rooms and refrigerated transport are also lacking. These cause a high percentage of fish losses and deterioration of quality, resulting in a consequent risk to the health of consumers.
• Almost half of the people employed in fishing, processing, or production activities associated with small-scale fisheries are women. More than 95 percent of small-scale fishers and related workers dedicated to post-harvest activities live in developing countries. These small-scale fishing communities often face precarious and vulnerable living and working conditions.
• Despite Brazil’s extensive coastline, current per capita fish consumption is low at only 6.8 kg/year, and fisheries and aquaculture account for only 0.4 percent of Brazil’s Gross National Product (GNP). Modernized fishing activities could potentially help this industry grow.
• Participating fishers and mariculturists have been issued 3G enabled mobile devices with mobile credit to access Vivo’s 3G wireless network and a suite of creative applications custom tailored to their needs. They also received IT and sustainability training, access to a community computer lab, and a floating classroom.
• Courses include environmental education with sustainable fishing techniques. Community members learn how to catch alternative species which are abundant and in high demand. This decreases environmental stress on traditionally overfished species, while increasing production and income levels.
• The various applications for the fishers and mariculturists enable the activities below:
° Wirelessly monitor and communicate information on water conditions such as pH levels, salinity,and temperature that helps with the successful cultivation of oysters.
° The system allows fishers access to state-of-the-art technical assistance from specialists.
° Automatic tracking of income and expenses, which allows the fishers to monitor their profits while still out at sea.
° Fishers can connect directly with local hotels and restaurants for direct sales of the day’s catch through an online marketplace. This increases profits by eliminating the need for intermediaries and the expensive storage of fish.
° Access to real-time updates on weather conditions and navigation assistance.
° The applications support governmental sustainable fishing initiatives through the statistical tracking and reporting of the type and number of fish caught.
How it Works
Participating fishermen and mariculturists from the community of Santa Cruz Cabrália have been issued 3G-enabled mobile devices equipped with easy to use software applications to support business operations and delivery of real-time weather and market information. The system allows fishermen and mariculturists to connect with consumers directly. Digital inclusion promoted by the Fishing with 3G Nets system expands local economies by creating employment, adding value to local goods and services, and opening new markets.
Project Steering Committee Partners
United States Agency for International Development
Instituto Ambiental Brasil Sustentável
Qualcomm’s Wireless Reach™ Initiative
Tags: pesca con redes 3g, programa redes 3g, pescando con redes 3g, pescando com, objetivos do projeto pescando com 3g.