1,000,000 - 5,000,000 downloads
- Group chats with calling conference
- Share media files
- Questions and promoted groups
- News feeds
- Push notifications, send SMS not to lost it when poor connection
- Needs tutorial, specially for new features (questions, promoted groups)
Actually, it works quite similar to other well-known phone number-based chats like Kakaotalk, Whatsapp or Pingchat!. However, it has specific features that should be taken into account. Let's zoom in it.
First off, you need to introduce your country (code) and your phone number, and then create an GroupMe account (it isn't optional). Then you get full access to the app. The first that catches your attention is the layout, which is even better than others. Actually its interface is more user-friendly, understandable and good-looking. A searching bar on the top to look for contacts and messages. A bottom bar with five tabs: Home, where you can see the open conversations.
From Contacts tab, you can see all your contacts or the ones who are already using GroupMe. You can invite friends that are not using GroupMe via SMS. Actually, from the contacts site you can send a SMS, add contacts to the a group, call them or send them a GroupMe message. What's more, you can call the "group" and start a conference (every group gets a unique virtual phone number). You can add your location and media file to other contacts. You can see all members location to any message you send.
The third tab is the "+". From there you can create a new group to talk about a specific issue, ask a question and share it or send a direct GroupMe message). Ask even through the social networks (Facebook and Twitter). People who answer don't need to join the group. From the tab "Specials" you can create groups to talk about given issues and get deals related to them. Finally, news is like a Feed or Wall where you can see things that your contacts are publishing.
One feature that we really liked is that when you have poor connection, the app can switch you to SMS. This way you'll never miss a message.
GroupMe has been developed by GroupMe, a developer who has reached great success with this app. Actually, it recently has been acquired by Skype for more than $85 million what's a proof of its reliability.
GroupMe overtakes other phone number-based chat services in many ways. It should be said that it comes up later, so it integrated all their features and added new ones. However, the questions, the promoted groups, the "news feed" and the conference calling are really good ideas that others don't even have thought. The only flaw is that GroupMe will be a choice to take into account if your group of friends are already using it. That's it, it depends of the amount of people that uses it. In this sense, it doesn't overtake so far the competitors.
On GroupMe, you can catch up with your family, get a group together for a night out, coordinate with co-workers, or just gossip with a few of your closest friends. Think about it like your own private Twitter, just for the people you really know. Or like a faster, better reply-all email.
No matter how you think about it, "you won't know how you lived without it once you give it a shot." -Gizmodo
Now a part of the Skype family.
Chat with a group
- Start groups with the people already in your phone's address book… no need to remember usernames or PINs.
- The conversation starts instantly. The app uses your data connection, so even Android tablets can join in on the fun.
- When you have a poor connection, the app will let you start receiving your messages via SMS instead. You'll never miss a thing!
- Share the group with people you want to join with a simple URL. It's perfect for when you don't have everyone's phone number — or when you're not sure who will want to chat with you.
Get fancy with it
- Share photos inline – take them on-the-go or choose them from your Camera Roll. Check out the Gallery to see all the photos shared in each group.
- Split costs with the members of your group. Just attach a Split to a message and anyone in the group can chip in with a credit card.
- Attach your location to any message so nobody gets lost.
- Give your group an avatar — choose anything that represents your group.
- Tap the heart next to any message to "like" it and spread some love.
Send a private message
- Take your private conversations outside the group.
- It's just like free texting… send all the messages you want and you'll never pay a cent.
Connect the app just once, and we'll keep you up to date with push notifications. No need to log in every day… it just works.
Hey, we want to hear your feedback! Direct your questions and feedback to email@example.com.
You can also find us on Twitter (@GroupMe) and Facebook: facebook.com/groupme
NOTE: SMS chat currently available in US only. Standard text messaging rates may apply.
Made with love in New York
Recently changed in this version:
*Easily explore images shared to your groups in the Gallery view
*You can now split costs and collect money from the members of your group. Just attach a Split to a message and anyone in the group can chip in with a credit card.
*You can now customize the behavior of the back button from "Navigation" settings
*Lots of bugfixes and stability improvements
*EMOJI! #) #) #)
*Long press to hide chats
*Setting to disable read receipts
*Several bug fixes
Last activity on GroupMe
Lists with: GroupMe
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
Comments and ratings for GroupMe
I loved this until my notification stopped working this week....
Please update the emojis...they look very elementary...thanks!
Fun for work n personal use.
The last two updates have really messed up the emojis k on the app for android... idk what you guys did but these emojis are terrible!!! They look distorted.. ugh... please bring the real ones back
I asked for the code twice and it kept saying content not supported so I sent an email twice and its just automated so you don't get a real answer uninstalled using Samsung galaxy s3
Does not work in UK, I'm on EE net work and galaxy s2 phone
I love this app. However, there is a bug when you send pictures. Rotating the device will load the last picture you shared. Removing it and rotating back will again load the picture up. I've seen it on a Galaxy S2 on Cyanogenmod 10.1, S3 on Android 4.1.2