1,000,000 - 5,000,000 downloads
- Group chats with calling conference
- Share media files
- Questions and promoted groups
- News feeds
- Push notifications, send SMS not to lost it when poor connection
- Needs tutorial, specially for new features (questions, promoted groups)
GroupMe is a cross-platform phone number-based chat and SMS with push notifications
Actually, it works quite similar to other well-known phone number-based chats like Kakaotalk, Whatsapp or Pingchat!. However, it has specific features that should be taken into account. Let's zoom in it.
First off, you need to introduce your country (code) and your phone number, and then create an GroupMe account (it isn't optional). Then you get full access to the app. The first that catches your attention is the layout, which is even better than others. Actually its interface is more user-friendly, understandable and good-looking. A searching bar on the top to look for contacts and messages. A bottom bar with five tabs: Home, where you can see the open conversations.
From Contacts tab, you can see all your contacts or the ones who are already using GroupMe. You can invite friends that are not using GroupMe via SMS. Actually, from the contacts site you can send a SMS, add contacts to the a group, call them or send them a GroupMe message. What's more, you can call the "group" and start a conference (every group gets a unique virtual phone number). You can add your location and media file to other contacts. You can see all members location to any message you send.
The third tab is the "+". From there you can create a new group to talk about a specific issue, ask a question and share it or send a direct GroupMe message). Ask even through the social networks (Facebook and Twitter). People who answer don't need to join the group. From the tab "Specials" you can create groups to talk about given issues and get deals related to them. Finally, news is like a Feed or Wall where you can see things that your contacts are publishing.
One feature that we really liked is that when you have poor connection, the app can switch you to SMS. This way you'll never miss a message.
GroupMe has been developed by GroupMe, a developer who has reached great success with this app. Actually, it recently has been acquired by Skype for more than $85 million what's a proof of its reliability.
GroupMe overtakes other phone number-based chat services in many ways. It should be said that it comes up later, so it integrated all their features and added new ones. However, the questions, the promoted groups, the "news feed" and the conference calling are really good ideas that others don't even have thought. The only flaw is that GroupMe will be a choice to take into account if your group of friends are already using it. That's it, it depends of the amount of people that uses it. In this sense, it doesn't overtake so far the competitors.
On GroupMe, you can catch up with your family, get a group together for a night out, coordinate with co-workers, or just gossip with a few of your closest friends. Think about it like your own private Twitter, just for the people you really know. Or like a faster, better reply-all email.
No matter how you think about it, "you won't know how you lived without it once you give it a shot." -Gizmodo
Now a part of the Skype family.
Chat with a group
- Start groups with the people already in your phone's address book… no need to remember usernames or PINs.
- The conversation starts instantly. The app uses your data connection, so even Android tablets can join in on the fun.
- When you have a poor connection, the app will let you start receiving your messages via SMS instead. You'll never miss a thing!
- Share the group with people you want to join with a simple URL. It's perfect for when you don't have everyone's phone number — or when you're not sure who will want to chat with you.
Get fancy with it
- Share photos inline – take them on-the-go or choose them from your Camera Roll. Check out the Gallery to see all the photos shared in each group.
- Attach your location to any message so nobody gets lost.
- Give your group an avatar — choose anything that represents your group.
- Tap the heart next to any message to "like" it and spread some love.
Send a private message
- Take your private conversations outside the group.
- It's just like free texting… send all the messages you want and you'll never pay a cent.
Connect the app just once, and we'll keep you up to date with push notifications. No need to log in every day… it just works.
Hey, we want to hear your feedback! Direct your questions and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also find us on Twitter (@GroupMe) and Facebook: facebook.com/groupme
NOTE: SMS chat currently available in US only. Standard text messaging rates may apply.
Made with love in New York
* Image related issues for users on MetroPCS and T-Mobile
- Two brand new, GroupMe exclusive, emoji packs!
- Features 150+ FREE emoji, featuring the GroupMe and Summer packs
- Start sending them today in group chats and direct messages
- Plus some bug fixes and improvements
I don't want SMS messages I want my messages to come through in the app. The app doesn't show I'm in these groups but he online website does...
I will raise my rating once we get all of the features the iPhone has. That's not fair :( COME ON WIT THE COME ON JACK!!!!
I'm only rating 3 stars at this time bc I only get notifications if the app is physically open on my phone. Im not exiting nor logging out either. Will you do an update that allows notifications to alert even when app is closed? Thx.
Love this app!!!!!!!! I can keep up with all of my family at one time. The best app ever
Love this app! We have a group that loves to communicate daily. Favorite way to do it. Cant wait till we get the search gif ability I have on my iPad.
Love the app! But can we please get video share for android? All my friends have I phones and send videos all the time. It's annoying that I can't because the android version is weak! What's up with that??