BEFORE YOU BEGIN - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE
- A Facebook account
- A data plan
- Location Access on your phone is enabled. Go to Settings on your phone, select "Location Access", and turn on the "Access to my location" feature. Leave GP satellites checked on to get the best location accuracy.
ABOUT THE APP
pyng.me uses Facebook and GPS on your phone to provide a better way for friends to quickly and safely ask where you are. Your family and friends can use any computer, tablet, or phone to request your location. That's right, once you have pyng.me on your phone you can give your web page to anyone using any type of device and they can now request your location via your web page. You gotta try this!
pyng.me is like glympse but works in reverse - with pyng.me your friends use a web page to ask for your location. And with auto reply for specific friends, you will no longer get "where are you?" texts and phone calls. For other friends your answer is a simple yes or no to whether they can see you when they ask.
Post questions on our Facebook page and we'll reply quickly:
WAYS TO USE PYNG.ME
Family & Friends
- Check in on a friend's location
- Family members can easily find each other
- Find my phone
- Safer than texting while driving
- A quick way to show your ETA
- While you train allow friends to locate you without disturbing you
- Show friends your live location on race day
- Friends can locate you even when your route changes
WHAT MAKES PYNG.ME SPECIAL?
• Many apps are tracking location even when no one is watching. This is a waste of battery, data and makes us feel like our privacy is compromised. pyng.me only tracks your location when you decide.
• Most apps require everyone to install the app that use the service including those wanting to see where you are. pyng.me only requires the person ‘broadcasting’ to install the Android app. Your best friend can see where you are on their laptop, tablet, or iPhone.. any device, any operating system. All they need is a web browser!
• A Facebook integrated product that isn't 'harvesting' your data, annoying your friends, or invading your privacy.
REGISTRATION AND USE
You register with your Facebook account and pick a unique pyng.me id. Your name or a nickname works well. Your id is then used to form your web page http://pyng.me/YOURNAME that friends and family can use to pyng you. pyng'ing you is a request which appears on your phone as a notification. You will need to respond to the request in order for them to see where you are.
On the contacts page set who can auto pyng you and who requires your response first.
‘Ask’ means ask you first, this is the default.
‘Allow’ means always make your location known for them and you won’t be bothered with allowing them permission to see you all the time.
‘Block’ means ignore their request.
Additionally, you can turn pyng.me on\off (become unreachable at any time if you need to)
pyng someone from your contact list: On the contacts page click the refresh button and we'll identify whom of your contacts also have pyng.me. You can then open a pyng window by clicking their name.
POWER SAVING FEATURES
pyng.me does not keep your location services running unless there is an active location viewing session with someone.
When a friend stops viewing you, the pyng.me application will automatically turn off posting your location for you, saving you battery and data usage.
Friends and family can use any device or operating system: phones, tablets, laptops, mac/pc, you name it. Anyone with a browser and a Facebook account will be able to pyng you.
Being pyng'd uses a push notification which will use data on your data plan if you are not on wifi.
Posting location updates will use data on your data plan if you are not on wifi.
Tags: pyng me.
Version 1.3 is a major update with enhancements including:
- No longer uses SMS, push notifications implemented. No SMS charges!
- Available internationally
- Viewers of your location are displayed in the app and the notification bar
- Tutorial added