Handy GPS (free)
10,000 - 50,000 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
* Shows your current location in easting/northing (UTM) or in lat/lon.
* Shows your speed, direction of travel, and total distance travelled in either metric of imperial/US units.
* Can store your current location as a waypoint, and can store your track as a "breadcrumb" trail to show where you've been.
* Waypoints and breadcrumb trails can be imported from and exported to Google Earth KML and GPX files.
* Allows manual entry of waypoints in UTM or lat/lon coords.
* Can guide you to a waypoint with the "Goto" screen using true or compass bearings.
* Has a magnetic compass page.
* Computes the local magnetic declination at startup using the IGRF-11 model, for use on the goto page.
* Can display either a simple map of your current location and the stored waypoints, or a Google Map if a data connection is available.
* Supports the world-wide WGS84 datum along with the Australian datums and map grids AGD66, AGD84, GDA94, AGD, GDA, AMG, and MGA. (You can also use WGS84 for NAD83 maps).
* Shows satellite locations and signal strengths graphically.
* Can display simple or MGRS grid refs.
* Has online help pages.
* Thoroughly tested by the developer on bushwalks.
Extra features available only in the paid version:
* A custom datum can be configured using ellipsoid and shift parameters.
* An email containing a clickable link showing your location can be sent to a friend using gmail.
* An elevation profile of your route can be shown.
* Can average GPS locations over time to give a more accurate result.
* Unlimited number of waypoints and breadcrumb trail points.
NOTE: This free version is limited to storing only 3 waypoints, and 20 breadcrumb track points. Please install "Handy GPS" for a small fee to get an unlimited version with even more features. Thanks!
Permissions required: (1) GPS - to determine your location, (2) Network access - for access to Google Map tiles, (3) SD card access - to load and store waypoints and tracklogs, and (4) Camera access for taking pics (only available in full version)
Keywords: hike, walk, cycle, cycling, ride, tracklog, remote, backcountry, wilderness, wild, navigator, garmin, etrex, magellan, topo, gps tracker, gps surveyor, survey
Tags: handy gps (free), datums grid, handy met gps, handy gps free, handy gps download for android free.
Recently changed in this version:
6.6 Added info button to show loaded data, Show one less dec place for lat/lons, Don't geotag photo if no location fix (full version), Removed useless zoom in/out menu items from simple map, Improved error handling.
6.5 When zone line hidden show copy button next to easting, Added new page to show location in all formats (full version only).
6.4 Added options to customize main page for small screens, Added alternate menu button option, Default photo geotagging to off for privacy.