Is your horse the correct weight? An underweight horse is quite easy to spot, but would you notice that your horse is overweight? It's essential that you do, because excess fat carries a serious health risk e.g. triggering laminitis.
Body Condition Scoring allows you take an objective view of your horse's weight.
This app guides you through assessing the amount of fat in different parts of the horse’s body and calculates the horse’s body condition score for you.
The two most common scoring systems are described and either can be used:
1) Carroll & Huntington (frequently used in the UK) - a scale of 0 to 5
2) Henneke (used throughout the world) - a scale of 1 to 9
Score your horse every two weeks to help ensure your horse stays at the correct weight. Body condition scoring is suitable for all types and breeds of horses.
• Describes how to assess fat on different parts of the horse’s body
• Uses images and text to help you to body condition score your horse
• Allows you to choose between 2 scoring systems
Images courtesy of World Horse Welfare and Horse Council BC.
Tags: horse body condition scoring
from 15 reviews