50,000 - 100,000 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
Altimeter is an analog altimeter with aviation design style : its goal is to work off-line (plane or back-country).
The altimeter works the same way as a real one with its 3 hands : Hundreds, thousands & tens of thousands.
Here are the main features :
- 3 hands analog altimeter.
- Start altitude acquisition button to preserve the battery.
- Sensor "Autostart" feature (see preferences).
- Automatic sensor stop on exit.
- Preferences save on exit (including calibration data).
- 2 altitudes providers : Barometric sensor(*) or GPS chip.
- Algorithm used for barometric sensor is "Altitude atmospheric pressure variation" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure).
- Units are feet or meters for altitude and hPa or inHg for pressure (*).
- Displays QFE / Altitude / QNH (*).
- Altitude speech when you tap on the screen.
- Calibration function(*) with altitude or pressure (QNH) including a reset function.
- User interface in English, French, German (Thanks Peter), Italian (Thanks Cosimo !).
- Free application... no ad !
(*) These functions require a barometric sensor in your android device (tablet like Motorola Xoom, Google Nexus ics 4, Samsung Note, ...).
By default the program will attempt to start with the pressure sensor. If it is not found then it switch on the GPS provider (true GPS not the network GPS). A message is displayed if the pressure sensor is not found.
Please remind : the GPS provider is not accurate (it can change according satellites positions). There is no way to improve that.
Please note also that the program doesn't use Internet to get the altitude in a SIG database : networks are not available in planes or in back-country.
Last but not least : for the same reason network location is also not used, the program won't run indoor !
The GPS, was implemented to overcome the lack of pressure sensor on most devices (hope that this will changes in the near future).
On the opposite the pressure sensor is very accurate : with a resolution of 0.1hPa and after calibration, accuracy is about 1m. This is awesome ! I was able to test Altimeter on severals device up to 4000m !
The calibration function of the pressure sensor(*) is very simple. Just enter the current altitude reference (as with a hiking altimeter). The altitude is then automatically corrected. Of course, if the atmospheric pressure falls or rises the value won't be anymore the true one. It is therefore important for a barometric altimeter to be frequently "calibrated" with a new reference.
A calibration function with the QNH pressure has been added also. It allows the altimeter to be calibrated during the fly. You have to provide the QNH pressure obtained from air traffic regulation or from grounded weather station.
Keywords: analog altimeter, barometric altimeter, QNH pressure, altitude, pilot tool, aviation goodies.
Tags: altimeter, barometric altimeter, free altemeter aplication, höhe barometer altimeter, analog altimeter, pressure sensor, 3 needle altimeter, best altitude meter app for nexus, barometer sensor, altimeter barometer.
- Add Gps signal icon.
- Improve Gps altitude precision (Thanks to E.Monnet).
- If a translation is not accurate or not appropriate, please leave me an email, because I cannot answer your message on the market.
- Please leave a comment if you like this app : Thanks !