NoteMaeven Bagpipe Tuning
1,000 - 5,000 downloadsAdd this app to your lists
Here is a typical pipe band tuning scenario:
* To start all the pipers begin playing to warm up their pipes.
* After ~10 minutes the band’s leader makes a decision
where low A will be (e.g. 478hz).
* They would enter that frequency into NoteMaeven and it would
derive where all the other notes should be. **
* They would then use the Trial Tuning feature of NoteMaeven to
see how close they are to this ‘ideal’ standard.
Typically there will be some adjustments to the pipe tuning or
perhaps to the suggested frequencies.
But eventually the new standard will be ‘declared’.
* If you have a big band, you could distribute this new standard
to multiple phones running NoteMaeven.
* An assistant would take a phone to each piper and perform a
Tuning Trial against the new standard.
* The tuning trial gives the piper a frequency report on each note
and summary of sharp/flat-ness.
* With this information, someone makes the call about adding tape
or adjusting reeds.
What’s a Tuning Trial like? Someone stands two feet in front of the piper, holds the phone up for them to see, and then the piper plays the scale, one time, slowly.
Look at the screen shots if you can believe your eyes. But really you should download this free time-limited version. Seven days after installation, it will stop working.
If you don’t like it, just uninstall it. Thank you for your time. I would like to hear about your experience.
If you would like to revive NoteMaeven on your phone, you will need to purchase the application called NoteMaevenKey. It’s a very small companion program that allows NoteMaeven to run without any limitations.
** See Ewan MacPherson’s article ‘The Pitch and Scale of the Great Highland Bagpipe’.
Tags: notemaeven bagpipe tuner play, delete notemaeven, notemaeven note tuning, notemaeven apps, notemaeven bagpipe.
Changes in Version 1.01
* Fixed bug relating to Custom Frequency settings (can cause app to hang)
* Added a feature for "Derive from A" option:
By default it will use the trial low A frequency if you have one.
This works around the need to use the keyboard.