SmartHost Android could help you check and fetch latest hosts file to walk around network blocking by GFW in China.
- Auto check latest hosts file update.
- Select hosts entries that you just needed.
- Easily switch to your original hosts file or clean hosts file.
✭Cannot save hosts?
If you cannot save hosts，(/etc/hosts is not changed after saving), please use Root Explorer or ES Explorer to mount /system folder to read/write state.
Support Official App v1.8.3 or later.
3rd-party Client, e.g. Seesmic(https://market.android.com/details?id=com.seesmic)
Support Apps that support SSL connection. For example Plume, Seesmic.
Currently Twitter is not able to be visited by modifying hosts file. Please consider other way to get around GFW, e.g. goAgent.
Can open web pages and App, but cannot watch video.
How to use Adfree
SmartHosts could live with other hosts modifier Apps, like Adfree Android (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bigtincan.android.adfree).
1. Download and apply other Apps to modify hosts.
2. Start SmartHosts and it will detected and save your hosts file to "Original hosts" file.
3. Click "Check Update" or "Apply SmartHosts" button.
4. In "Select hosts sections" screen, make sure "Original hosts" is checked.
5. Click save and the "Original hosts" will be merged automatically.
If your hosts file size is too big, SmartHosts might crash because not enough memory. We have provided an slim version of ad free hosts (https://freehosts.sinaapp.com/android_adfree_hosts). Please download manually and paste it to \"Original hosts\" via built-in hosts editor.
hosts file is maintain by open source project http://code.google.com/p/smarthosts.
For any connectivity problem caused by hosts file, please report to smarthosts project.
Tags: smarthosts, smarthosts code, smart hosts, how to use smart hosts, es explorer system folder cannot save, app code mofification host, smarthosts 42, hosts, cannot save hosts, code read hosts file without root.
- Replace dead mirror site
- Fix no response on starting app for ICS.
- Fix no response on starting app for some devices.
- Update help docs.
- Using shell to read/write system file, improve compatility.
- Support viewing/editing hosts file
- Live with other hosts modifier Apps (Adfree)
- Optimize UI.
- Fix a few bugs.
- Support Android 2.3 and below.
- Fix a permission problem for MIUI
- Reduce Permission Request times
- Add a feedback button.