SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu
5,000,000 - 10,000,000 downloads
- Good-looking layout
- Automatic scheduled backups
- Personalized backupping
- Backups in XML format
- It doesn't backup MMS (just SMS)
- We're missing cloud sync
+ By Ritesh Sahu
SMS Backup & Restore allows you to keep safe your SMS
This is another great tool to keep safe one of your most valued data: your SMS. It allows you to backup/restore you SMS which are create in XML format and save by default on the SDcard. However, the XML files can be converted and be viewed on a computer. What's more, you can send the backup file to your e-mail or send it to other cloud service accounts.
What we've seen until now is that it allows to backup just selected conversation (that's it, personalized backup). You can even view backup file contents on the phone and schedule backups not to miss a single SMS in case of losing or robbery.
SMS Backup & Restore has been developed by INFOLIFE LLC, a developer focused on security and system Android apps.
If you just want to backup/restore SMS, this is a good choice due to it good-looking layout, automatic scheduled backups, personalized backupping and sharing options. Recommendable.
The backup is created locally on the phone by default unless you configure it to upload to Email, Google Drive or Dropbox. You are responsible for backup files and the files are not sent to the developer in any case.
On Android 4.4+ devices, if you have performed the Restore and the messages don't appear in your messaging app then:
- Open your messaging app and Disable SMS from Settings.
- Exit the app
- Open the app again and Enable SMS from Settings.
- Backup SMS Messages in XML format.
- Backup created locally on the device with options to automatically upload to Email, Google Drive or DropBox using the Add-On app.
- Choose a scheduled time to automatically backup.
- Backup format is independent of the Android version so the messages can be easily moved from one phone to another, irrespective of the Android version.
- Option to select which conversations to backup.
- View/Restore all Messages or only selected conversations.
- Delete all SMS Messages on the Phone.
- Email a backup file.
- The XML can then be converted to other formats, and can also be viewed on a computer.
- Tested on Android v1.5 to v5.0
This app is ad-supported and requires the Internet permissions to display the Ads.
If you do not want ads the they can be disabled from preferences or you can buy the paid version from the Market.
On newer phones with inbuilt storage the default backup location will probably be the internal storage card and not the external.
This is because the phone reports the storage that way.
If you intend to do a factory reset on the phone, please make sure you save/email a copy of the backup outside the phone before doing it.
Lots more info at http://android.riteshsahu.com/apps/sms-backup-restore
FAQs can be found at http://bit.ly/d9t7Jk
Please start the app at least once after updates so that the scheduled backups start working.
This App needs access to the following:
* Your messages: Backup and Restore messages. Receive SMS permission needed to properly handle messages received while the app is the default messaging app on Android 4.4+ devices.
* Storage: To create the Backup file on the SD card.
* Phone calls - Without this the Restore fails on some phones.
* Network communication: For displaying Advertisements.
* Your social information: To display and store the contact names in the Backup file.
* Run at start-up: Start scheduled Backups.
* View Network Connections: So that the app does not try to load Ads when there is no connection.
* Control Vibration: To vibrate the phone when an operation is completed.
* Prevent Phone from Sleeping: To prevent the phone from going to sleep/suspended state while a Backup or Restore operation is in progress.
* Test access to Protected Storage: To create the Backup file on the SD card.
Icons designed by Vlad Kitanoski of www.vk-solutions.com
- External SD Card support for Lollipop (Android 5.0+) devices
- Added Ukrainian translations thanks to Євген Гіль
- Fix for empty Conversation List on some HTC devices.
- Updated Italian translations thanks to Gian Maria Calzolari
- Added Serbian translations thanks to Milan Đorđević
- Fix for Archive Mode backup errors
- Button text fixes for some languages
- Better handling of Group MMS messages
- Better filtering for conversation selection
how do i get the backup on my computer to be viewed? i have a microsd card which the backup is saved to, but when i plug the microSD card into my computer through the adapter the file is weird and through the internet and cannot be read
This app simply does what it says it does. Super perfect, simple and efficient.
good app, but don't expect your group sms threads to be restored. not sure it is missing them during backup or simply failing to restore. reply to dev..yes mms option is selected but still no cigar. - 2nd reply to dev: Yes I can view the group messages in the backup file. but it doesn't restore.
It did my sms backup a expected and it even allowed me transfer my backed up sms from my old device to the new one. The only draw back is that it doesn't allow the read and send of sms when set as the default sms app! Hope the developer will work on that soon... It should be made flexible to read and send sms. Also, the future updates should have options to save backup in different file types rea
Good - backs up SMSes, and restores them, too! Bad - Removes all conversations from Archive in the Hangouts app.