Heritage Montgomery has created this App to help visitors learn about Montgomery County Maryland’s rich natural and cultural heritage as well as on-going fun activities for the whole family.
Tour one of the six geographic areas or learn more about Montgomery County’s Civil War history. Visit for a day or spend a weekend; we are sure you will keep coming back. Along with GPS directions, you will find information on local history, cultural activities, entertainment, and a list of dining establishments.
• The Agricultural Reserve will take you through the most beautiful area of the county with a distinct beauty during each of the four seasons. Follow established hiking, biking and water trails. Driving in the shadow of the Sugarloaf Mountain you will see historic weathered barns and lovely pastoral landscapes.
• Historic Brookeville/Sandy Spring Area is unique for its small-town yet modern atmosphere. The Sandy Spring Museum holds numerous events on a regular basis for visitors of all ages.
• The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park stretches along the western border of Montgomery County and offers recreational opportunities for hiking, biking, canoeing, bird watching and more.
• Gaithersburg/Rockville area offers diverse options for entertainment including history, art museum, theatre and fine dining.
• Poolesville is steeped in Civil War history and boasts a charming main street. Catch a movie night or musical event happening in town at the Whalen Commons Bandshell.
• Silver Spring is the urban side of Montgomery County. Here you will find a lively entertainment scene regardless of the time of day.
• The Civil War tour will take you to all those parts of Montgomery County that saw action during the 1860s war that almost tore our country apart.
With this app we will also keep you updated with special events that are happening at different sites in the heritage area so check back often.
Tags: civil war in montgomery county md