OsmAnd Maps & Navigation
1,000,000 - 5,000,000 downloads
Also in : Job search
- Easy to use
- Worldwide coverage
- Needs a lot of storage space
- The free version only gives you 10 downloads
A really interesting app which lets you use maps at any given moment
OsmAnd is the must-have app you need if you usually travel by car and use your phone to work our the best routes, and especially if you're traveling abroad and you turn on roaming to download maps a lot. With this app you can download the maps before you leave home and still get the instructions if you can't get access to a data connection or WiFi.
Without a doubt, this is a very well-made app, because it includes worldwide maps too. You can easily find the right map through the filters, listed by continent. If you download at home, in the office or in a hotel, while on a WiFi network, you can use them without any issues when you go out onto the street. It is easy to use and you don't need any other files to be downloaded. You can also save your favorite sites and locate points of interest on the map.
The free version is a bit limited if you're a heavy map user because it only give you 10 downloads. If you want to use more maps, you have to pay for the complete version. Remember that the maps need a lot of free space, but your SD card will come in handy for that.
Some of the main features:
• Works online (fast) or offline (no roaming charges when you are abroad)
• Turn-by-turn voice guidance (recorded and synthesized voices)
• Optional lane guidance, street name display, and estimated time of arrival
• Supports intermediate points on your itinerary
• Automatic re-routing whenever you deviate from the route
• Search for places by address, by type (e.g.: restaurant, hotel, gas station, museum), or by geographical coordinates
• Display your position and orientation on the map
• Optionally align the map according to compass or your direction of motion
• Save your most important places as Favorites
• Display POIs (point of interests) around you
• Can display specialized online tile maps
• Can display satellite view (from Bing)
• Can display different overlays like touring/navigation GPX tracks and additional maps with customizable transparency
• Optionally display place names in English, local, or phonetic spelling
Use OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia Data
• High quality information from the best collaborative projects of the world
• Global maps from OpenStreetMap, available per country or region
• Wikipedia POIs, great for sightseeing (not available in free version)
• Free download, directly from the app (download limit 10 map files in free version)
• Always up-to-date maps (updated at least once a month)
• Compact offline vector maps
• Select between complete map data and just road network (Example: All of Japan is 700 MB, or 200 MB for the road network only)
• Also supports online or cached tile maps
• Optional automated day/night view switching
• Optional speed limit display, with reminder if you exceed it
• Optional speed-dependent map zooming
• Share your location so that your friends can find you
Bicycle and Pedestrian Features
• The maps include foot, hiking, and bike paths, great for outdoor activities
• Special routing and display modes for bike and pedestrian
• Optional public transport stops (bus, tram, train) including line names
• Optional trip recording to local GPX file or online service
• Optional speed and altitude display
• Display of contour lines and hill-shading (via additional plugin)
Directly Contribute to OpenStreetMap
• Report map bugs
• Upload GPX tracks to OSM directly from the app
• Add POIs and directly upload them to OSM (or later if offline)
• Optional trip recording also in background mode (while device is in sleep mode)
OsmAnd is open source and actively being developed. Everyone can contribute to the application by reporting bugs, improving translations, or coding new features. The project is in a lively state of continuous improvement by all these forms of developer and user interaction. The project progress also relies on financial contributions to fund the development, coding, and testing of new functionalities. By buying OsmAnd+ you help the application to be even more awesome! It is also possible to fund specific new features, or to make a general donation on osmand.net.
Very approximate map coverage and quality:
• Western Europe: ****
• Eastern Europe: ***
• Russia: ***
• North America: ***
• South America: **
• Asia: **
• Japan & Korea: ***
• Middle East: **
• Africa: **
• Antarctica: *
Most countries around the globe available as map downloads!
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, here are just few more examples: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Mexico, Spain, UK, USA.
1.9: Navigation, Maps, OsMo
Support Android Wear
- Search POI along the route
- Visual and audio announcement for waypoitns
- Longer route calculations
- Mark road as impassable
- Turn lanes
- Print itinerary
- Public transport & subway maps
- Road surface & smoothness
Lots of other features....
This app needs some usability improvements. Finding out how to route was not trivial. Should be able to tap into a POI and navigate quickly.
Still there is a promise for this app. So for now. 2.5 Stars
The interface is tricky but give it time and it does make sense! The mapping quality is great it even guided me on a walk round the forests of Alsace. This is a must have if you're travelling at home or abroad and you don't want to rely on your mobile signal for google maps.
It is it
I loved it he helped me :* thx
It either needs to be made much simpler or offer more help at first launch. Do I need to download a lot of stuff before it works? The first screen seems pointless why not just show me the map where I am and offer a search. The search interface feels clunky and appears not to work until you have downloaded the right maps from the list.
I have been using this app 6 months at my travel to east Asia in few different countries. I always know where I'm, and useful for orientation in space. Bottom line: very recommended for traveling overseas or when you are offline.