Africa: Live helps you find and share real-time African animal sightings on your phone or tablet as well as generate data for conservation.
Our live safari sightings map shows you what animals are near you right now (as reported by over 22,000 other app users) and allows you to easily and immediately share your sightings with other safari goers or anyone watching the map around the world, as well as for use in conservation research. It is a must-have for any African safari, whether to Kruger or Addo, Serengeti or Pilanesberg.
Africa is big, animals are relatively small and have got pretty good at hiding. Evolution has taken care of that. Our Africa: Live map shows you the most recent animal sightings that have been reported in the last 24 hours by other safari goers and professional guides via social media or added to the map directly. It helps you get the most out of your safari by increasing the chances of finding those animals you are most interested in. You can easily add your own sightings and photos directly and immediately to the map.
Within the app you can purchase detailed offline maps of the major parks in South Africa including: Kruger Park, Hluhluwe, Imfolozi, Pilanesberg, Addo Elephant Park, Kgalagadi, Madikwe, Marakele, iSimangaliso (St Lucia), Tembe Elephant Park, Ndumo, Ithala, Gondwana and uMkhuze. These maps include 10,000KMs of tar, dirt and 4X4 trails, footpaths, waterholes, hides, viewpoints, picnic spots, gates and other points of interest.
The app also includes extensive reference material such as an safari animal field guide, gate opening times and park contact details.
- The ONLY live map of Africa showing your location and the location of recent animal sightings.
- Clickable, colour-coded markers showing sighting details, descriptions and a photo.
- One-touch to add a sighting to the map yourself, including uploading your own photo. NOTE: because of poaching issues, RHINO SIGHTINGS WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE MAP.
- Detailed offline maps of major parks in South Africa (note: this is an in-app purchase and is not free)
- Live text stream of new sightings.
- Search for sighting by how recent or species.
- Extensive reference material, photos and interesting facts on the animals you’re likely to see on safari.
- Dynamic Q&A. If you're not sure what it is you're looking at, or what it is doing just ask us via the map and we'll answer (or if we can't, our Facebook friends will!).
- Safari tips, contact details and lots more useful information.
- Contribute to our citizen-scientist research database: we catalogue, analyse and will share sightings data with conservation bodies to support wildlife audits.
- A desktop version of the map can be viewed www.wildafricalive.com. However performance of the desktop version of this map will be highly limited on a mobile device.
- The map and social media stream require phone network coverage to be updated, although sightings can now be recorded with no phone network using the offline maps. These will automatically be uploaded later.
Offline maps cover: Kruger Park, Table Mountain, Hluhluwe, Imfolozi, Pilanesberg, Addo Elephant Park, Kgalagadi, Madikwe, Marakele, iSimangaliso (St Lucia), Tembe Elephant Park, Ndumo, Ithala and uMkhuze
Tags: knp sightings.
THIS APP IS LARGE BECAUSE IT INCLUDES DETAILED MAPS OF MAJOR SOUTH AFRICAN PARKS.
Search for sighting by how recent it is and species,
Live text stream of new sightings,
Improved photo display and offline performance,
Offline maps of major South African parks so app works seamlessly in areas without phone network,
Facebook and Twitter sharing / integration,
Quicker / slicker design for Android,
Improved high definition graphics,
Many bug fixes and other improvements.