The app uses Surf Life Saving Australia's coastal safety databases to let you know precisely how safe a beach is, what the weather is like, when low and high tide is, when (and if) a beach is patrolled by surf lifesavers or lifeguards, along with full regulatory and hazard information.
In some states, the app will enable you to check patrol information and beach status in realtime. If you're not sure what the name of a beach is, simply press the GPS button to see a list of all the local beaches and their distance from your current location. This means that even if you're in a totally unfamiliar area you can pick the safest beach, not just the closest one.
Make educated decisions about the beach you're visiting by viewing current beach safety information and keep yourself and your family safe. The app can be translated into over 60 languages on the fly!
View swell, tide and water temperature for any beach in Australia.
Swimmers and Beach visitors
Find out which beaches are patrolled by surf lifesavers or lifeguards and swim between the flags on patrolled beaches.
- Find beaches near you with your phone's GPS,
- Search for a town, city, region or beach,
- Save your favourite beaches with the star icon,
- View beach safety information in the 'Surf Ed' section
- Quickly and easily see if a beach is patrolled by trained surf lifesavers or lifeguards and enter a future search
- View detailed weather forecasts for a beach,
- Check the swell forecast graph
- Check the tide times to plan your surfing and be able to change the tide station
- See realtime hazard information about a patrolled beach including rip currents, stingers and sharks when these have been entered by Lifesavers or Lifeguards
- Use the map view to locate beaches near you
- Read detailed summaries of each beach in Australian written by coastal safety experts
- See a real time photo of the beach if one has been uploaded by a Lifesaver or Lifeguard
- See when events are happening at a beach
- See safety twitter feeds relevant to your State
- See or enter Facebook comments relating to this beach
The Beachsafe app was produced in conjunction with SLSA's beach safety website beachsafe.org.au. It is aimed primarily at tourists and visitors to unfamiliar parts of Australia. There are iPhone and Android versions of the app or it can be viewed on any device with a web browser and an Internet connection at beachsafe.org.au.
With a direct link between the app and Surf Life Saving Australia's nationwide network of surf club managed databases, users of this app can be assured that the patrol information and beach safety warnings are totally up-to-date.
If you find yourself in a new area that you are not familiar with, then you can utilise this app's location aware features to identify all the nearby beaches or alternatively, simply enter a place or beach name in the search window and the app will return results filtered in order by distance.
If you find this app useful and you wish to help support Surf Life Saving Australia and our 140,000 volunteers (we are funded entirely by charitable donations) then please click on the "More" tab within the app where you will find options for donating.
Be safe at the beach, get Beachsafe.
* Bug Fixes
* Update of Icons