Hipmunk Hotels & Flights
1,000,000 - 5,000,000 downloads
- Sorts flight by "agony"
- Runs smoothly
- Can book right through the app
- Attractive design
- Can be difficult to navigate so many details on a small screen
- Lacking some features (like a flight tracker)
- No "anywhere" destination option
Search, compare, and book flights and hotels
Gone are the days of stuffy travel agency oligopolies. The modern savvy traveler knows to shop around, and the best way to do that is through an app that lets you search and compare many different options for flights and hotels at once. Hipmunk Hotels & Flights is one such app, and a nice one too.
Enter in your desired details (destination, arrival/departure dates, how many people, etc.) and Hipmunk will get to work on a personalized search. During the wait time, you get to check out a very cute chipmunk grooving as though it were an airplane, which is a sweet plus.
The results screen consists of colored blocks on a timeline representing possible combinations of flights, a translation from the display used on the Hipmunk website. These can be ordered by traditional factors like price and number of stops, but also, usefully, by "agony." Let's face it, that's what we're all really attempting to minimize when we travel - so the least "agonizing" flights have the best combination of low prices, few stops, and non-extreme departure/arrival times. Nice!
A few extra pluses Hipmunk offers over its competition: AirBnb and Homeaway rentals are available as results on the "hotel" search feature, something I haven't seen anywhere else. There are also "tonight only deals," which can offer last-minute discounts of up to 60% if you love flying by the seat of your pants.
And a few negatives: the time-based comparison might be rather strange if you've never used the Hipmunk site, and the small screen on your device is probably not the best way to familiarize yourself with them. You also must choose the first leg of your journey before seeing the possibilities for the second, which just isn't convenient for planning some trips. There are fewer features than some similar comparison apps (for example, it lacks a flight tracker). Finally, there is no option to select "anywhere" as a destination, which I've always loved as a feature of certain flight search engines.
Hipmunk Hotels & Flights is more than fairly decent, despite glossing over a few things I'd put in my ideal flight/hotel search app. And that flying chipmunk is legitimately adorable.
• "Best apps of 2013" – Google Play
• “The new gold standard in flight and hotel apps” – Forbes
• “You must try Hipmunk” – Mashable
• “A great way to plan travel” – Business Insider
• FAST and EASY flight and hotel booking
• Find the LOWEST PRICES on airfare
• See flights sorted by “agony” to SAVE TIME by minimizing duration, layovers and price
• Unique layout makes it easy to find flights with Wi-Fi
• BOOK HOTELS directly on Hipmunk within the app
• Need a LAST MINUTE hotel room? Get up to 60% OFF with TONIGHT DEALS
• See TripAdvisor reviews, star ratings, and easily COMPARISON SHOP HOTELS
• Hotel heat maps show how close lodging is to shopping, dining & more
• “Verified by Hipmunk” shows, at a glance, if your hotel has Wi-Fi, parking or resort fees
• COMPARE and book hotels, Airbnb rentals, hostels and HomeAway rentals
Unlike every other travel app out there, Hipmunk doesn't just show you the cheapest flight first--the app sorts by "agony" instead, which incorporates important factors like flight duration, number of layovers and price. Want to know when airfare changes? Our fare alerts will alert you quickly when prices change.
Hipmunk’s hotels are shown on a map so you can see exactly where you'll be staying. You can also read TripAdvisor reviews in the app and turn on heatmaps to see which are the best areas to stay in based on unique interests like food, landmarks, nightlife and more. Plus, save up to 60% off with new Tonight Deals on hotels worldwide.
Hipmunk’s goal is to make finding flights and hotels fast and easy.
CONNECT WITH US:
Identity - Allows you to log in and create a Hipmunk account
Contacts/Calendar - Used to show your upcoming events in the flight and hotel search results to help you make the best selection. You can also write your upcoming flight itinerary or hotel booking to your calendar.
Your Location - Used to power hotel searches based on your location and to serve you the best hotel deals
Photos/Media/Files - Used to cache hotel images you've looked at so we don't waste your data downloading them again
Device ID & call information - Used to pre-fill your phone number in hotel bookings
• Our new Flight Deals feature saves you money by showing you the best-priced flights from your home airport
• Book on Hipmunk with more currency options
• Find our vacation rental options easier than ever before
• Save time with new easy-to-read hotel reviews
• Enjoy more in-app hotel booking options with more of your favorite brands like Hotels.com, Booking.com, and Travelocity.
• Crash and other bug fixes
Permissions are discussed in description.
I love the icon and ease and functionality of this app. I love how it continously searches my fares and keeps sending me the alert of the lowest published fare. Love it.
Does what it is suppose to do. Love the alert feature.
Doesn't automatically use euro for Irish users, uninstalled
Love the alerts and price trend. Of course in the end the actual price of the hotel or ticket matters the most ... and hipmunk finds the lowest for you.
Helpfull at any time. Like it a lot.