OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation
100,000 - 500,000 downloads
- Easy to use
- Worldwide coverage
- Needs a lot of storage space
- The free version only gives you 10 downloads
+ By OsmAnd
A really interesting app which lets you use maps at any given moment
OsmAnd is the must-have app you need if you usually travel by car and use your phone to work our the best routes, especially if you're traveling abroad and you turn on roaming to download maps. With this app you can download maps before you leave home and still get the instructions if you can't get access to a data connection or WiFi.
Without a doubt, this is a very well-made app, because it includes worldwide maps too. You can easily find the right map through the filters, listed by continent. If you download at home, in the office or in a hotel, while on a WiFi network, you can use them without any issues when you go out onto the street. It is easy to use and don't need any other filed to be downloaded. You can also save your favorite sites and locate points of interest on the map.
The free version is a bit limited if you're a heavy map user because it only give you 10 downloads. If you want to use more maps, you have to pay for the complete version. Remember that the maps need a lot of free space, but your SD card will come in handy for that.
OsmAnd+ is the paid application version. By buying it you support the project, fund the development of new features, and receive the latest updates.
Some of the main features:
• Works online (fast) or offline (no roaming charges when you are abroad)
• Turn-by-turn voice guidance (recorded and synthesized voices)
• Optional lane guidance, street name display, and estimated time of arrival
• Supports intermediate points on your itinerary
• Automatic re-routing whenever you deviate from the route
• Search for places by address, by type (e.g.: restaurant, hotel, gas station, museum), or by geographical coordinates
• Display your position and orientation on the map
• Optionally align the map according to compass or your direction of motion
• Save your most important places as Favorites
• Display POIs (point of interests) around you
• Can display specialized online tile maps
• Can display satellite view (from Bing)
• Can display different overlays like touring/navigation GPX tracks and additional maps with customizable transparency
• Optionally display place names in English, local, or phonetic spelling
Use OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia Data
• High quality information from the best collaborative projects of the world
• Global maps from OpenStreetMap, available per country or region
• Wikipedia POIs, great for sightseeing
• Unlimited free download, directly from the app
• Always up-to-date maps (updated at least once a month)
• Compact offline vector maps
• Select between complete map data and just road network (Example: All of Japan is 700 MB, or 200 MB for the road network only)
• Also supports online or cached tile maps
• Optional automated day/night view switching
• Optional speed limit display, with reminder if you exceed it
• Optional speed-dependent map zooming
• Share your location so that your friends can find you
Bicycle and Pedestrian Features
• The maps include foot, hiking, and bike paths, great for outdoor activities
• Special routing and display modes for bike and pedestrian
• Optional public transport stops (bus, tram, train) including line names
• Optional trip recording to local GPX file or online service
• Optional speed and altitude display
• Display of contour lines and hill-shading (via additional plugin)
Directly Contribute to OpenStreetMap
• Report map bugs
• Upload GPX tracks to OSM directly from the app
• Add POIs and directly upload them to OSM (or later if offline)
• Optional trip recording also in background mode (while device is in sleep mode)
OsmAnd is open source and actively being developed. Everyone can contribute to the application by reporting bugs, improving translations, or coding new features. The project is in a lively state of continuous improvement by all these forms of developer and user interaction. The project progress also relies on financial contributions to fund the development, coding, and testing of new functionalities.
Approximate map coverage and quality:
• Western Europe: ****
• Eastern Europe: ***
• Russia: ***
• North America: ***
• South America: **
• Asia: **
• Japan & Korea: ***
• Middle East: **
• Africa: **
• Antarctica: *
Most countries around the globe available as map downloads!
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe,from Australia to the USA. Argentina, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, UK, Spain, ...
2.0 - Material Design
2.0.3 - Fixes
! SDcard failed upgrade !
This is the problem for the paid app moved to sdcard, Google Play fails to update it in some cases. The easiest known solutions:
1. Rename folder with maps
- Make backup favorites (share -> send)
- Uninstall app and install again, rename folder with maps back
2. Contact support team for direct link to download application.
You can read more on website.
Amazing app, better than many alternatives (Including that unnamed inbuilt one) It's greatest issue is in finding businesses by name, due to lack of community assisted input. This is not this app but rather the OSM data. Offline data including offline POI search and details including Wikipedia data is most helpful alongside regular updates and great community support.
Love this mapping software which I can use offline in areas without internet
When the google maps is useless because it always needs an active connection, Osmand saves the day!
I use this app while riding quads on trails in the woods..leaves a trail where I been do I dont get lost....
Counter intuitive UI, broken navigation
The map material is phantastic! The program's usability still deserves major improvements (many settings are convoluted and hard to locate, esp. after the last version step) and the navigation is completely broken! Several times I had the case where a short deviation or a turn into a different direction (e.g. for a gas refill-stop) caused navigation to go completely berserk! It suddenly showed a
I updgraded to the paid version and suddenly my google play does not work (server error), my osmand paid app is nohwere to be found, I uninstalled the free, one, now I can't even reinstall it (server error in google play)... disaster. Please help regards Manuel