OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation
100,000 - 500,000 downloads
- Easy to use
- Worldwide coverage
- Needs a lot of storage space
- The free version only gives you 10 downloads
A really interesting app which lets you use maps at any given moment
OsmAnd is the must-have app you need if you usually travel by car and use your phone to work our the best routes, especially if you're traveling abroad and you turn on roaming to download maps. With this app you can download maps before you leave home and still get the instructions if you can't get access to a data connection or WiFi.
Without a doubt, this is a very well-made app, because it includes worldwide maps too. You can easily find the right map through the filters, listed by continent. If you download at home, in the office or in a hotel, while on a WiFi network, you can use them without any issues when you go out onto the street. It is easy to use and don't need any other filed to be downloaded. You can also save your favorite sites and locate points of interest on the map.
The free version is a bit limited if you're a heavy map user because it only give you 10 downloads. If you want to use more maps, you have to pay for the complete version. Remember that the maps need a lot of free space, but your SD card will come in handy for that.
OsmAnd+ is the paid application version. By buying it you support the project, fund the development of new features, and receive the latest updates.
Some of the main features:
• Works online (fast) or offline (no roaming charges when you are abroad)
• Turn-by-turn voice guidance (recorded and synthesized voices)
• Optional lane guidance, street name display, and estimated time of arrival
• Supports intermediate points on your itinerary
• Automatic re-routing whenever you deviate from the route
• Search for places by address, by type (e.g.: restaurant, hotel, gas station, museum), or by geographical coordinates
• Display your position and orientation on the map
• Optionally align the map according to compass or your direction of motion
• Save your most important places as Favorites
• Display POIs (point of interests) around you
• Can display specialized online tile maps
• Can display satellite view (from Bing)
• Can display different overlays like touring/navigation GPX tracks and additional maps with customizable transparency
• Optionally display place names in English, local, or phonetic spelling
Use OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia Data
• High quality information from the best collaborative projects of the world
• Global maps from OpenStreetMap, available per country or region
• Wikipedia POIs, great for sightseeing
• Unlimited free download, directly from the app
• Always up-to-date maps (updated at least once a month)
• Compact offline vector maps
• Select between complete map data and just road network (Example: All of Japan is 700 MB, or 200 MB for the road network only)
• Also supports online or cached tile maps
• Optional automated day/night view switching
• Optional speed limit display, with reminder if you exceed it
• Optional speed-dependent map zooming
• Share your location so that your friends can find you
Bicycle and Pedestrian Features
• The maps include foot, hiking, and bike paths, great for outdoor activities
• Special routing and display modes for bike and pedestrian
• Optional public transport stops (bus, tram, train) including line names
• Optional trip recording to local GPX file or online service
• Optional speed and altitude display
• Display of contour lines and hill-shading (via additional plugin)
Directly Contribute to OpenStreetMap
• Report map bugs
• Upload GPX tracks to OSM directly from the app
• Add POIs and directly upload them to OSM (or later if offline)
• Optional trip recording also in background mode (while device is in sleep mode)
OsmAnd is open source and actively being developed. Everyone can contribute to the application by reporting bugs, improving translations, or coding new features. The project is in a lively state of continuous improvement by all these forms of developer and user interaction. The project progress also relies on financial contributions to fund the development, coding, and testing of new functionalities.
Approximate map coverage and quality:
• Western Europe: ****
• Eastern Europe: ***
• Russia: ***
• North America: ***
• South America: **
• Asia: **
• Japan & Korea: ***
• Middle East: **
• Africa: **
• Antarctica: *
Most countries around the globe available as map downloads!
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe,from Australia to the USA. Argentina, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, UK, Spain, ...
1.9: Navigation, Maps, OsMo
Support Android Wear
- Search POI along the route
- Visual and audio announcement for waypoitns
- Longer route calculations
- Mark road as impassable
- Turn lanes
- Print itinerary
- Public transport & subway maps
- Road surface & smoothness
Lots of other features....
Was working well with the previous version. I can not use this application anymore
Awesome maps program. Only wish there was a british voice. I'm sure the American lady is lovely but she puts me on edge!
The user interface is a little bit complicated, but with training it is very flexible. The functionality is great.
Very useful application, often + free maps updates, many options and configurations, uses plugins for additional functions. A bit slow while (re)calculating the route, search does not work very well for me. Will be useful to have mobile labels (now they are displayed below the POI; for closest ones you see the icon with the label from the other one). Also it will be useful to have some hints about
App looks good but having to download files overnight on WiFi makes me feel like I'm back in 97 on my 56k dial up connection. Pick up my phone in the morning and its crashed and reset the OS.
This app is just great, we've been using it for a while to travel around the world where we don't have data and it saves our lives every times! I couldn't travel without it now.
Very good app