Word Lens Translator Demo
100,000 - 500,000 downloads
- Useful tool
- Zoom in/out
- Word focus
- It doesn't include any demo translation package
- It should be more accurate
+ By Quest Visual, Inc.
World Lens uses the back camera of your device to instantly translate printed words
Dictionaries, translator devices and all this sort of gadgets are almost becoming unuseful due to smart devices. Apps are adding functions to our mobile devices making the most of its built-in features. Word Lens turns your camera into a translator: you just need to target the printed word you want to translate (imagine ads, sign, posters, magazines...) with the back camera of your device and it will do the rest.
However, translating isn't the only action you can perform with Word Lens. Actually this Lite version only brings two features and none of them are translation tools. Demo includes "word reverse" (it reverses the words you target) and "erase words" (the word you target will disappear). This is just to show you how this technology works. However, although that's interesting, it's not really useful. Translating is probably its plus point.
What's the problem? All translation packages available (so far English to Spanish, French and Italian and viceversa) are paid ($4.99). it would be great if it includes at least one translation package to try if it's worth enough.
Instantly translate printed words from one language to another with your built-in video camera, in real time!
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: The included demo modes recognize the same words as the language packs available for purchase.
Language Pack pricing: $4.99 each
+ English ⇆ Russian
+ English ⇆ Spanish
+ English ⇆ French
+ English ⇆ Italian
+ English ⇆ German
+ English ⇆ Portuguese
Try out the included modes first so you can see the technology in action. These built-in examples recognize words in English, Spanish, French, German and Italian.
- Reverse Words (spell all words backwards)
- Erase Words (digital white-out)
Word Lens gives you translation on the go:
- NO NETWORK required - results appear immediately on your video screen when you need it, anywhere in the world.
- Easy to use, like the regular camera
- Look up translations by typing them in, or clicking on a word.
Notes for getting the best quality out of your translations:
- Best used on clearly printed text (e.g. signs, menus)
- DOES NOT recognize handwriting or stylized fonts
- It's not perfect, but you can get the general meaning!
- Keep text in focus by holding it at least one hand-length away and tap-to-focus if autofocus is struggling.
- Turn on the flashlight (if available on your device)
- Zoom in (if available on your device)
Some features are device dependent. Not all device cameras can zoom, nor do all devices have a flashlight.
Having trouble? We want to hear from you! Email us at:
Hardware Controls: Take Pictures and Videos: Used to access the camera so we can translate what it sees.
Network Communication: Market Billing Service: Used to purchase language packs.
Network Communication: Full Internet Access: OPT-IN ONLY: Used only if you opt-in to submit errors and anonymous usage statistics to Quest Visual to help improve the product.
Network Communication: View Network State: OPT-IN ONLY: Used only if you opt-in to submit errors. Data is only reported if you opt-in and you are online and you are not roaming.
- English ⇆ Russian
- Camera “v-sync” fix for Samsung devices.
- Camera incorrect rotation fix.
- Improved camera error handling (auto-reconnect)
v2.1.1: Camera Crash handling
- Portuguese ⇄ English!
- Save a screenshot of your translations, and share it online.
v2.0.3: Bug fixes
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
You have to buy it to translate anything. .Each language costs money.
Ths app. is awesome, bt need to add more language, developers must try add all international language. Other thn app works excellent...
No hungarian language, google translator will also support same kind of future with taking picture from translator and selecting the text. Its waste to purchase.
The demo works very poorly. If thats how the full version works, then I wont purchase.
Google translate is 1000 times better than this. Don't waste money on this.
As a demo this makes no sense, it doesn't translate anything. A timed demo that expires after a couple of weeks would serve better
Its not really even a demo of the app's main function, i dont see why it cant translate at LEAST one language and just increase the advertisements on the demo version.